have you read C.S.Lewis's Space Trilogy

duck

have you read C.S.Lewis's Space Trilogy

Have you guys ever read C.S.Lewis's Space Trilogy? They're very good books!!:cool: they have a lot 'o Mythology and Science Fiction. In the first and second there is a lot more Science Fiction than the last book so don't get disappointed!

Slashmire

Hmm nope didn't...and didn't even know these existed. I did read many of C.S Lewis Book (the Narnia serie, Screwtape Letter, Mere Christianity.)

Does the space trilogy has the same charm as his Narnia books?

duck

No not much "charm:) " Slashmire, they are aimed at a much older audience.

In the first book, Out of the Silent Planet, Ransom is taken captive and brought to outer space. There he excapes and gets back home. :eek:

In the the second book, Perelandra, he is brought back to outer space by the inhabitants, there he "saves" the planet. Then they brought him back home. :(

In the third,That Hideous Strength, it starts out with different people. Later they find Ransom. An evil had come to earth and they had to fight it. Here Mirlen comes in from the dark ages. :eek:

These books are very well written, they have a lot of cliff-hangers,and they are just very intriguing.

LyricB

I have never actually read anythign of C.S. Lewis but I have heard nothing but good things about him.

Slashmire

Okay, well as long as they have the same strength as his other books, then I'll be more than happy to look for them :)

palefrost

duck;455 said:

In the first book, Out of the Silent Planet, Ransom is taken captive and brought to outer space. There he excapes and gets back home. :eek:

In the the second book, Perelandra, he is brought back to outer space by the inhabitants, there he "saves" the planet. Then they brought him back home. :(

In the third,That Hideous Strength, it starts out with different people. Later they find Ransom. An evil had come to earth and they had to fight it. Here Mirlen comes in from the dark ages. :eek:

These books are very well written, they have a lot of cliff-hangers,and they are just very intriguing.

I have to see if i can find these books. I read meer Christianity and i loved the way he was able to add some thought provoking arguments to that subject and would like to see if he is as engaging at outside of that topic. Ive read Narnia years ago in by tween years and loved it.

I've read all three books and I would compare the first two to Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars novels but with less action and more emphasis on religion. While I'm a big fan of C.S. Lewis, I'm a huge fan of the sword-and-planet genre so I was disappointed in the lack of adventure. That's not to say these books aren't worth reading. Lewis has just as many varied and outrageous creatures in his books as Burroughs does and the religious views alone make them worthwhile. The strongest book, however, is the third one. Lewis seems to have put more thought into this one because it's longer than the first two and the plot does less wandering. Not only that, but he also seems to have raised the stakes in terms of how graphic he was willing to get. I still remember a certain scene, that I won't relate here for fear of ruining the book for those who haven't read it yet, that I thought was rather gruesome. And this is C.S. Lewis I'm talking about. :eek: So, by all means, find the books and read them. They're easily among his best.​

Melos

I haven't read these, nor have I gotten through the entire Chronicles of Narnia - which seem to be his more popular works.

I'm not usually too fond of Science Fiction, however, and prefer fantasy.

figment

duck;442 said:
Have you guys ever read C.S.Lewis's Space Trilogy? They're very good books!!:cool: they have a lot 'o Mythology and Science Fiction. In the first and second there is a lot more Science Fiction than the last book so don't get disappointed!
The last book contains just as much fantasy, it's just that it takes the form of Christianity (as opposed to simply being Christian allegory, like the first two books and the Chronicles of Narnia). The demon-head seems pretty sci-fi to me. And don't forget Merlin and the appearance of the Greek gods and goddesses, and beasts with human characteristics (the bears) and humans with bestial characteristics (i.e. when Merlin deprives them of language).

AcadianSidhe

duck;455 said:

I've been thinking of getting ahold of those soon. Speaking of, if you guys haven't read Lewis's "Till We Have Faces", do yourself a favor, and get it. Excellent story. The only book I ever saw captivate an entire class when I was in school.