Harpies

Vince

I always thought the harpies were pretty funny, they remind me of some of my ex-girlfriends. I can imagine being stranded out there on an island like poor Phineas. Only instead of my food being constantly snatched, there goes my money, pride, and sanity. Seriously though, harpies are cool characters, I like the roll they play in that story about Phineas.

Isis

Vince, you sound a little bitter. :p I feel sorry for Phineas too; never being able to eat a buffet in front of you is pretty awful.

The harpies were also seen as destructive wind, personified, which I thought was an interesting interpretation.

LegendofJoe

I really like the Harpies too. They supposedly fouled the food of Phineas. It leaves much to the imagination.
I enjoyed the way they were animated in the Ray Harryhousin production of Jason and the Argonauts.
Many monsters in Greek myth are female. I wonder if they would have been male if the stories were written by the women.

Myrddin

I always found the Harpies to be kind of nasty and devilish, myself. Though they are amusing in their tricks. Any of you ever read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials? Harpies are featured in the second book, The Subtle Knife, and are depicted as quite nasty therein. (And nowhere near as amusing in mythology.)

TheLoreman

The Harpies are great creations. Like twisted winged angels! It's amazing thinking about the imagery of Mythological creatures that Hollywood hasn't made more films based on mythology...

Vince

Isis I'm really not that bitter, but I find it fun to poke fun at myself and my past. :p LegendofJoe brings up an interesting question about the gender of mythological monsters. I think we often write based on our experiences, and romantic relationships can be quite difficult. Given this fact, I don't think it's very unusual that men create female monsters. If women did the opposite and created male monsters, I think that would be fair and understandable.

Isis

Oh, I was just teasing you, Vince. :)

I agree that the preponderance of female monsters probably had a lot to do with all male writers. I'm not sure women wouldn't create a decent amount of female monsters too though. We are our own worst enemies, you know. ;)

Nadai

I really like the Harpies too. They supposedly fouled the food of Phineas. It leaves much to the imagination.
I enjoyed the way they were animated in the Ray Harryhousin production of Jason and the Argonauts.
Many monsters in Greek myth are female. I wonder if they would have been male if the stories were written by the women.
I would:D

Nadai

I wonder if the same happened with the Bible...I wonder if men so often play the victim because the Bible was written by men, because God is depicted as a man and because his disciples were all men-perhaps if the Bible were written by a woman we would see God as a woman.