Halloween poisonings

Is there any truth to the stories about psychos putting poison or dangerous items inside Halloween candy and giving them to children? Are they just legends? I am guessing it could have happened once or twice.

jerri

I've seen news reports but they were a long time ago, before all the candy was packaged individually and people were still giving out apples and stuff like that. I'm pretty sure it's decreased to almost nothing by now. Notice how no one gives out homemade stuff like Rice crispie treats?

That is true, that nobody seems to give out homemade treats anymore. I think it's for the best. I wouldn't trust homemade treats just because I don't know what ingredients they used, not really because I worry about getting poisoned. I wonder if anybody has ever found a razor in their apple like I would often hear?

Enertia

When I was a kid, my mom insisted on inspecting my Halloween candy for poison. I suspected, she really just wanted to pick out some of the good candy for herself. I have never heard of any kid getting poisoned from candy on Halloween. I have had quite a few belly aches from eating too much, though!

Toni

This is a great time of year to bring this up with Halloween right around the corner. I know at one time, our local hospital was offering to x-ray bags of trick-or-treat candy to be sure there were no metal objects in anything. Like razor blades in apples. It would take a real sick-o to do something like that.

Isis

When I was a kid, my mom insisted on inspecting my Halloween candy for poison. I suspected, she really just wanted to pick out some of the good candy for herself. I have never heard of any kid getting poisoned from candy on Halloween. I have had quite a few belly aches from eating too much, though!
Yes, I have a sneaking suspicion that my parents had ulterior motives for inspecting my candy as well. I never asked them; maybe I should. They'd tell me the truth now.

I know at one time, our local hospital was offering to x-ray bags of trick-or-treat candy to be sure there were no metal objects in anything. Like razor blades in apples. It would take a real sick-o to do something like that.
Now that you mention it I remember a group that offered to x-ray your candy on Halloween. Of course I don't remember there ever being anything found in the actual candy.