Halloween costumes

Isis

Do you buy or make Halloween costumes? Have you thought about what you will be this year?

I know it's early, but I love Halloween so it is already on my radar.

Myrddin

Halloween is always on my radar. I love everything about it; dressing up and the prospect of partying (though I never get my hopes up about that). The past few years, I've been thinking of dressing up as the Joker from The Dark Knight. He's one of my favourite villains. Oh so villainous. "Let's put a smile on that face-e."

MysticSunshine

Sometimes we will make up a costume with different things around the house then other times we buy them. We actually bought some right after Halloween last year for like a dollar and our son tried it on just the other day and it fits. So he is all set. :)

Toni

I make the best witch in the world. However, we quit dressing up some years ago because of some truths we learned and because the kids that came to my door kept getting older and bigger and really looked like something out of a horror movie. It took all the fun out of it.

Myrddin

Yeah, the older trick-or-treaters really do take the fun out of it. Usually after about eight o'clock I blow out the jack-o'lanterns, and put everything away. Anyone who comes after eight, are likely to be too old for trick-or-treating (and more like something from those horror movies).

Isis

I make the best witch in the world. However, we quit dressing up some years ago because of some truths we learned and because the kids that came to my door kept getting older and bigger and really looked like something out of a horror movie. It took all the fun out of it.
What truths did you learn that stopped you from dressing up? I am very interested in your answer since I love dressing up for Halloween and can't see why I'd stop.

I absolutely love Halloween. It's never too early to start thinking about costumes and decorations. I have no idea what I'm going to do this year though. I'm really hoping for a great idea to just hit me.

Enertia

I adore Halloween! It is my favorite holiday. What is better than zombie walks, haunted houses and dressing up? I am pretty creative and can sew a little, so I make my costumes. Throughout the year I scour thrift stores for possible costume ideas. I have not found one yet. I was thinking of doing Medusa this year or some weird variation of her.

magickz

I have done a little of both, last year there were sad tricks played in our town and then ended up canceling it which bummed out too many kids. This year I am hoping for a better outcome since our youngest was almost devastated by this.

Myrddin

What sad tricks were played that the festivities were cancelled? I could see how the youngest children woiuld be devastated by that.

Toni

What truths did you learn that stopped you from dressing up? I am very interested in your answer since I love dressing up for Halloween and can't see why I'd stop.
The truths I am talking about have to do with Christianity and the Spiritual Battle going on around us all the time. We chose not to participate in Halloween based on these beliefs.

Nadai

The truths I am talking about have to do with Christianity and the Spiritual Battle going on around us all the time. We chose not to participate in Halloween based on these beliefs.
My family has never participated in Halloween because of these beliefs. I was never allowed to dress up or pass out candy when I was younger. It was quite a sad thing for me when all of my friends would come to school with their costumes and bags of candy:( I'm hoping to rectify that this year. I would love to start a Halloween tradition for my kids, but I have no clue where to begin. I fear I'm a bit too old for trick-or-treating and they are too young, but I would like to go and I would love to do SOMETHING for them...and myself;)!

Myrddin

My family has never participated in Halloween because of these beliefs. I was never allowed to dress up or pass out candy when I was younger. It was quite a sad thing for me when all of my friends would come to school with their costumes and bags of candy:( I'm hoping to rectify that this year. I would love to start a Halloween tradition for my kids, but I have no clue where to begin. I fear I'm a bit too old for trick-or-treating and they are too young, but I would like to go and I would love to do SOMETHING for them...and myself;)!

Just an idea, but maybe have a little Halloween party for them? Halloween themed meal or Halloween movie, along with a few decorations? Could be nice...

Nadai

Just an idea, but maybe have a little Halloween party for them? Halloween themed meal or Halloween movie, along with a few decorations? Could be nice...
I've heard about how much fun haunted houses are, but I'm a bit of a chicken;) but those are great ideas! Thanks!

RLynn

My family has never participated in Halloween because of these beliefs. I was never allowed to dress up or pass out candy when I was younger. It was quite a sad thing for me when all of my friends would come to school with their costumes and bags of candy:( I'm hoping to rectify that this year.
I sincerely hope that most people don't take witches and ghosts and goblins so seriously. The bad old days of the Puritan witch hunts in New England should have taught everyone a lesson. Halloween is just for fun. What's really scary is not Halloween monsters, but religious extremists who are so superstitious (or paranoid) that they want to outlaw Halloween.

Myrddin

I've heard about how much fun haunted houses are, but I'm a bit of a chicken;) but those are great ideas! Thanks!
Bwra, bwra?:)

I sincerely hope that most people don't take witches and ghosts and goblins so seriously. The bad old days of the Puritan witch hunts in New England should have taught everyone a lesson. Halloween is just for fun. What's really scary is not Halloween monsters, but religious extremists who are so superstitious (or paranoid) that they want to outlaw Halloween.
I could not have said it better.

Toni

I have been around children in school that grew up this way and they devour everything they can get their hands on having to do with Halloween. Books, stories, videos, tales all appeal to them. It seems they are hungry for the things they cannot have.

Isis

I have been around children in school that grew up this way and they devour everything they can get their hands on having to do with Halloween. Books, stories, videos, tales all appeal to them. It seems they are hungry for the things they cannot have.
Yes, that is often the case when children are denied the opportunity to partake in common cultural celebrations. I respect the right of parents to practice their religion as they see fit, but I do feel bad for the kids who feel left out.

Toni

Yes, that is often the case when children are denied the opportunity to partake in common cultural celebrations. I respect the right of parents to practice their religion as they see fit, but I do feel bad for the kids who feel left out.
Agreed Isis. I believe that all the facts should be presented to the child and then the "we choose not to particpate because....." parent speech. That way, the child would be less curious and semi understand what is going on.

Nadai

I totally agree. That's why I'm trying to give my kids the opportunity to decide for themselves, teaching them what I know and believe and letting them decide for themselves if that's how they will live their lives as well.