Grimm's fairy tales

Disney's fairy tales, I think, are written and presented for kids. Actually, back when I was a child I really like the story of Cinderella. But I was shocked when I learned that the Disney's version of Cinderella is not the "true" story and found out that it was the Grimm brothers responsible for the tale.

Some info I've got:
- (Cinderella) in the Grimm's version, the stepsisters cut off some part of their foot so that it would fit in the shoe ; the stepsisters live their lives as beggars
- (Snow White) the evil queen is forced(?) to dance with iron-hot shoes, and Snow White was awakened not by the Prince's kiss.
- (The Little Mermaid) The Prince, whom the mermaid loved, married another girl ;
and so on, and so on.

Do you know other stories from the Grimm's brothers?

greekgoddess31

The Grimm's wrote most modern fairy tales. They were not the bright, happy things we see on the big screen these days though. they were dark, often scary and most did not have a happy ending.

WinterWitch

I remember reading Grimm's fairy tales when I was little. I never could understand why they were so different from the Disney versions. I really need to go back and read them again. I guess as an adult it would give me a whole new perspective.

Myrddin

There are some corrections that I feel obliged to make here. First, the story "Cinderella" was written not by the Grimm Brothers, but Charles Perrault. While the Grimm Brothers did write their own version, it was not until some time after Perrault's fairy tales were published. The Grimm Brothers' version was also in fact titled "Aschenputtle". Second, "The Little Mermaid" is a Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale and was not even adapted by the Grimm Brothers (hard to believe, I know, since they do seem to have adapted a lot).

The Grimm Brothers have written:
"The Robber Bridegroom"
"Hansel and Gretel"
"Snow White and Rose Red" (aside from "Snow White")
"The Brave Little Tailor" as well as "The Clever Little Tailor"
"Rapunzel"
"Rumpelstiltskin"
"Little Red Cap" (adapted from Perrault's "Little Red Riding Hood")
"Brier Rose" (adapted from Perrault's "The Sleeping Beauty in the Woods")
"Puss in Boots" (as an omitted tale; adapted from Perrault), and
"Blue Beard" (as an omitted tale; adapted from Perrault)

As well, Jacob Grimm wrote on his own:
"Snow White, Snow White, or The Unfortunate Child" (which was edited to become "Snow White") and
"Rumpenstunzchen" (which was edited to become "Rumpelstiltskin")

I love learning about the true origins of the fairy tales. Even most adults seem surprised at the true stories. I heard that in one early version of Sleeping Beauty the princess is raped and impregnated while she is asleep.

oh yeah, I've also heard that one. The version I've heard of is that she bore a child (or 2 children,maybe) and when the baby suck her thumb she awoke. :O

oh yeah, I've also heard that one. The version I've heard of is that she bore a child (or 2 children,maybe) and when the baby suck her thumb she awoke. :O
Wow, I don't remember hearing that part of it. It is so much more disturbing than the Disney version, of course. I would love to read some of the original versions for myself.