Graveyards and urban legends

Allie-Gator

Have you ever heard of the legend that says that a graveyard on top of a hill has a ghost of a young woman who stops the cars that pass the graveyard, either by making the car fail mechanically or just dying, at the top of the hill. She will get into the car and the car will miraculously restart and the person of course accelerates quickly to get away. The car will then again stop at the bottom of the hill and the ghost girl will exit the car, the car will start and of course the person drives screaming away. I wonder how many graveyards have this legend about them? I know we have one that's local but I've also heard about many other places that have the same legend.

jerri

I heard something similar about a ghost jumping into a car but it wasn't around a graveyard. I think it was on a dangerous stretch of road that she supposedly died on.

Myrddin

I heard something similar about a ghost jumping into a car but it wasn't around a graveyard. I think it was on a dangerous stretch of road that she supposedly died on.
One of the best kinds of ghost stories.

Nadai

Jerri I've heard of a similar legend.
The graveyard legend that I'm more familiar with was one that I was told as a kid. My sisters used to tell me that whenever you walk or drive past a graveyard you have to hold your breath until you pass, otherwise you will breathe in spirits and they will take over your body. To this day I still get spooked when I drive past a cemetary and so I do my best to avoid them. I know it was just to scare me as a little kid, but the idea that such a thing could be possible never left me:(

Myrddin

Jerri I've heard of a similar legend.
The graveyard legend that I'm more familiar with was one that I was told as a kid. My sisters used to tell me that whenever you walk or drive past a graveyard you have to hold your breath until you pass, otherwise you will breath in spirits and they will take over your body. To this day I still get spooked when I drive past a cemetary and so I do my best to avoid them. I know it was just to scare me as a little kid, but the idea that such a thin could be possible never left me:(
I remember when I was a kid, my sister and I always had that rule - when we drove past a graveyard, we always held our breath and didn't let it out until we were past. Yet I never understood the reasoning. Now I do.

Myrddin

Ever heard about the Grim, or Church Grim? It is a large completely black dog which supposedly haunts graveyards, and protects the dead from the Devil. It loves the sound of ringing church bells. The sighting of a Grim is an omen of certain death.

Nadai

It is also known as a Hell Hound. That is a legend I am familiar with. Though with the Hell Hound I always heard that he was more of a killer than guardian of the dead. Still pretty interesting though. I liked Kuroshitsuji's version of the Hell Hound. A giant fire-breathing dog who could change from man to beast at will...more or less:rolleyes:He was adorable though, much more of a lover until he went crazed and burned down London.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/blackdogs2.html

Nadai

He's basically just a giant white dog who can breath fire. When he gets overly excited or anxious he turns into a man though he retains his animalistic qualities-barks and growls rather than speaks, walks on all fours, etc. In the last season a crazed angel uses him to burn down London as part of her/his plan to cleanse the Earth with fire.
Kuroshitsuji is a pretty great show. If you haven't seen it you should look into it.
http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/kuroshitsuji-english-dubbed-online-free

Myrddin

I definitely like the theme song. I will certainly have to set some time aside at some point to watch an episode. Looks good.

I've heard all types of these stories. It always makes me wonder how these type of stories get started. I know about 5 different graveyards in my area alone that have that legend told about them. I wish if they are going to tell a creepy story, they'd start a new one. :)

Nadai

I've heard all types of these stories. It always makes me wonder how these type of stories get started. I know about 5 different graveyards in my area alone that have that legend told about them. I wish if they are going to tell a creepy story, they'd start a new one. :)
I agree. We need a bit of originality in our entertainment today!

Isis

As a kid, I always held my breath when passing a cemetery too! I wasn't sure why, so it's nice to hear the legend behind it. I guess I just thought not holding my breath was bad luck or something.