Good reads? =)

So, over the past few months ive saved up a bit of money, and i was wondering if any of you guys knew of any good books to do with Norse Mythology or Viking history at that matter? I've only really read one or two books, the rest is stuff off the internet, so i want to read more...books are way nicer than reading off a screen =)

Thanks =D
Amy

LegendofJoe

So, over the past few months ive saved up a bit of money, and i was wondering if any of you guys knew of any good books to do with Norse Mythology or Viking history at that matter? I've only really read one or two books, the rest is stuff off the internet, so i want to read more...books are way nicer than reading off a screen =)

Thanks =D
Amy
I really liked Myths and Legends of the Norsemen by H. Guerber. It has it all in just one book.
The Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland is a great book as well. He tells all of the stories well and he gives an excellent intro and notes as well. But
unlike the first book he does not go into the stories of heroes, he sticks only to the gods.
If you want to go straight to the source material, read the Prose Edda itself. There is a classic translation from the Icelandic by Jean I. Young.
The Poetic Edda has also been translated but I don't know one that is highly regarded. Try the Prose Edda first.
Happy reading.

Aww thank you Joe =)
I'll have a look into it, i'm hoping to get the Prose Edda hopefully. I think that'll be the best bet to read first, then ill fork out to get the other books to look st the notes and things =) thanks for your advise though! Much Appreciated ^__^

LegendofJoe

I thought you all would like to take a look at my carvings of Odin and Thor. I purchased these in Norway.
Odin has his two ravens and is missing one eye. Thor has his hammer, and his throne has carvings of his two goats that draw his chariot.
My apartment is full of mythological images from my travels, but these two are my favorite.

LegendofJoe

G
Aww thank you Joe =)
I'll have a look into it, i'm hoping to get the Prose Edda hopefully. I think that'll be the best bet to read first, then ill fork out to get the other books to look st the notes and things =) thanks for your advise though! Much Appreciated ^__^
Glad I can help. Keep me posted.

Oh my, those carvings are so beautiful, are they handmade? And you've been to Norway? Thats really cool, id love to go there one day, and maybe study there in university, but i dont know.

LegendofJoe

I believe they are handmade.
They have a lot of cool wood carvings. They also sell trolls, but they are usually made of plastic or a type of resin.
My trip was back in '95 just after Norway hosted the olympics. I saw Lillehammer, Borgund, the Sognefiord and Oslo.
I also saw the capitals Stockholm and Copenhagen.
I really recommend the trip.
(Lillehammer might be in Sweden, it was so long ago I forget).

Aww wow =) I'd love to go there, especially the north of the country, to see the midnight sun in summer and the northern lights in winter. I'll go some day, id love to go to Iceland too.

LegendofJoe

Don't worry, you will do it. I did not start traveling until I was in my thirties.
Probably my most otherwordly experience was India and Nepal. Wow! talk about different.
I will never forget sailing on the Ganges at dawn while people lit little floating candles on the water.

Yeah, I'd imagine that going to places like India are like a total different world. That sounds so beautiful, sailing down the Ganges with candles on the water. I'd love to go there, and Bangladesh too.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film