good for little girls or not

good for little girls or not

I grew up on fairytales. I wanted to be all fo the diffrent princess. I have over 50 different books of fairytales, all of them classic versions. I am constantly annoyed by the press and femminists (i use the term in referring to the ultra-left wing stero type) who say that theya re bad.
I am a 28 year old female. I waited until the age of 20 to have sex. I have supported my self through a successful career. I now have boyfriend I adore (with a PhD from Berkeley). I have a great relationship with my family I am healthy. So, how were fairy tales so harmful to me that some now feel they shouldn't be alowed in children's classrooms?

jason

empty
I think a lot has to do with Disney's popular version of fairy tales. They often portray the female as weak, atleast in my mind. If they bothered to get to the truth of the story they could see things different.

Melos

Personally, I think that mind set is complete idiocy. They are stories, and sometimes women are weak *gasp*. You want to teach your daughter to be a strong woman, Mom has to give a good example.
Besides, just thinking of Disney tales - Pocohantas wasn't weak, nor was the Little Mermaid or Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Come to think of it, which ones were weak ??

palefrost

I personally cringe when i see the moms that name the little girls after a princess and shove that down the little ones throats as they grow up. I dont think you should ever promote vanity and shallow pictures of what life is. Im picking on the stereotypical Disney fairy tales. IT makes me sick when i see grown woman planning out elaborate weddings with no care of the man she picked out just the celebration and the chance to be a princess for her big day...

I hope i didnt offend anyone.

Melos

Well, I certainly agree with that palefrost. I never understood the whole "I wanna be a princess" thing - but I think that is just a difference in style. I think that the Disney movies, although most relationships start with some sort of spell-breaking kiss, stress that the two fell in love and lived happily ever after. :)

Slashmire

I think it depends, some are cute and harmless in my opinion while other may show to little girls that "Being pretty" is the most important thing in the world...

palefrost

Thats the problem i think is they are so little and watching it over and over. I have two little girls and i keep the disney stories down on the bottom of DVD's to watch. Im jaded and i dont want my girls expecting a "prince charming" to come sweep her off her feet and be gullible to some guy playing her with sweet talk lol. :p

LyricB

My daughter has always been drawn to the whole Dinsey Princess thing, even though she has never seen a single Disney movie. She just picks it up from seeing stuff in the store. Those Disney marketing guys are genuises.

Melos

Well, that is what its all about, right? Selling stuff and making money.

This reminds me of what I saw in the bank yesterday. A mom and her little (4 or 5) year old girl comes in. The girl is dressed in a fluffy tutu and has a sparkly crown and ribbons and bows and what-not. Everyone, including the Mom was ooohhing and aaahhing and how-cuting and so-sweeting over this girl. The girl was totally eating it up. This girl KNEW she was the cutest, sweetest, most adorable thing on earth. And when she's 14, her parents won't know what hit them.

vicki2

That's shades of Jon Benet Ramsey. Every time I see one of the photographs of that child, I cringe. If she had lived to be an adult, I can only wonder what she would have been like. She looked 21 at age 5.

Slashmire

I'd have to agree that Jon Benet was looking much "bizarre" for her age; however, I wouldn't go and condemn girls if they played prince and princess.

vicki2

Not condemning childhood play at all. But I guess I am condemning parents who get involved and take it to a great length. Takes the childhood out of it all.

harleysneak

I have to say that I'm in agreement with these fairy tales aren't all that good for children. I don't want my daughter growing up thinking she has to be a princess and the only thing that makes life worth living is falling in love with a prince, that should not be the ultimate goal in one's life. It just sets one up for a lot of disappointment.

Melos

Jon Bonet's mother / parents were at fault for turning their daughter into a older-than-her-years princess thing, not Disney cartoons.

You know, I grew up and I watched Snow White and Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty - the old Disney tales - and I read the books, or had them read to me. I never wanted to be a princess. I think the difference is the parent's view on it and their influence in the child's life.

Slashmire

exactly, you can't blame everything but you...just look at parents blaming violent videogames for their kids behavior, I played violent videogames, I've watched cartoons, and I'm nice as there is :)

harleysneak

You know I agree, you can't always blame the media and people do that too often. I think the fairytales/perfect love/knight in shining armor thing is a little different though. My parents never emphasized too much on that, however due to the cartoons that was the ideal image I had in my head and became very depressed when it was not happening for me, wondering what was wrong with me.

vicki2

I have to agree as well. I read fairy tales, and never wanted to be a princess although I have a cousin who was far too effected by them. She became a little Jon Benet but fortunately didn't meet with death. She continued the whole idea until well into her 20s and even still acts the part of a princess. But I agree, her parents allowed it too.

harleysneak

I know this one has been talked about a lot, but I figured this was the best place to put this as it somewhat involves it. I was just wondering if anyone had heard about Shrek 3? There was a little article about it in our newspaper and it was talking about how a lot of the Disney Princesses are in it and it goes to showing them that they don't have to wait to be rescued by a prince (in a really brief quick synopsis). It sounds like a great idea and I am definitely looking forward to seeing this one.

Sasodara

~~bLooDsTaInEd~~
The controversy is in the characters the princesses give. Such as, Cinderella. Snow White.

The female role is portrayed as weak and fragile, while the main male character is portrayed as strong and herioc. Typicall Sexism...Yeah.

Nyath

right, now, I'm a perfectly strong adult. I'm 20 years of age, and I live on my own. I have no need for a man to be here to help me take care of myself. However I know that I (personally)cannot lift my desk all the way up 6 flights of stairs to my flat and that my male friends are stronger than me and can. This doesn't make me weak, it means I dont want to damage my back trying.
Yes I watched Disney films as a child, I still do, and get this, with my male friends, they like them too.
Also if you want to get rid of sexist images from young girls lives, then I suggest you do not let them watch practically any tv (celebrities are possibly the worst influence in the world, especially during those years when everyone has to be less than a size four... I believe we are due one in about two years) other children, as tomboyish girls will feel threatened by the other seven year olds who's mums buy them kiddies bras and let them pierce their ears and wear make up to school.
The reason children end up as mini adults (and then become high school drop out pregnant teenagers) is generally because parents dress their children and teach them to act like adults.
It is my belief that the innocence of true sparkly Disney love actually is better than Bratz dolls, with mini skirts and crop tops.
Also to stop people from coming into contact with the true love thing (and I'm just looking at my DVD's here) there could not be any watching of "the Covenant" a film about magic the romance is a sub plot, any of the cruel intentions movies, the harry potter books and films, King Arthur (the Clive Owen version) Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Star Wars, Underworld 1 + 2, Sex and the City.
And those are just the ones I can see.
Just let children be children, including dressing up and climbing trees and getting mucky.