Gods with the best powers

HermesRulz101

Gods with the best powers

This thread is about posting a god of your choice say their power and why it would be good in battle mine Dionysus Vine Control. Dionysus is so powerful because he can summon a whole field of grape vines to constrict and contort the enemy...that is mine.

Olsen

I think Zeus had the best powers. He could shape-shift into any creature, control the natural elements, rule over the other gods (including his brothers, sisters and wife). I also like Apollo, with his patronage over beauty and arts. He could also tame wild animals at will.

fibi ducks

I don't think Zeus ever argued with Dionysus. (Do tell if you know otherwise). I think this is because Dionysus is really as powerfull as Zeus, but not interested in managing the world. So Zeus is careful not to offend him - and so is able to stay on as chief god.

I think that Ares would be good in battle if he were on your side. I imagine that when Ares helps you, your limbs become without weight, you do not tire, and you feel no pain. I should think that seeing someone like that would be evidence that Ares were helping them. And ancient people could see that he sometimes helped people on iether side of a fight. So although Ares would be good, he is not loyal.

By the way, I am reading a book called 'The Naughty nineties' (I forget the authors name but he wrote one before called 'Hoolifan'). Its about English football hooligans and violence, but is written by a hooligan. These fights are not random - they are organised and have some rough rules of conduct. Often one side will be routed by the other. There are also scouts to find where the other side are drinking, ambushes, people who know all the stories, legendary figures. Much of the stuff of ancient warfare.

magickz

For me I think the best defensive is a good offense, no matter what the power as long as it would be used wisely and during the proper time, why is one really better than another? I guess I like to keep things even on the playing field.

Libros

I don't think Zeus ever argued with Dionysus. (Do tell if you know otherwise). I think this is because Dionysus is really as powerfull as Zeus, but not interested in managing the world. So Zeus is careful not to offend him - and so is able to stay on as chief god.
Dionysus is nowhere near as powerful as Zeus. For one, he was born half-mortal, and elevated to the pantheon later, as with Heracles and other common half-mortals.

It was an unarguable fact that there was no god or goddess stronger than Zeus. Through his strength and his cunning, he had ensured that not only were the Titans he overthrew permanently laid low, but that no child born to him by a Titan would overthrow him, permanently securing his seat of power. Zeus had proclaimed that if all the Olympians together tied a rope to the highest peak of Olympus and hung Zeus from it, if all of them held onto the rope and tugged they couldn't drag him down. Zeus' thunderbolts were completely indestructible and could shatter any material in existence, except his aegis which he gave to his favourite child, Athena.

Certainly Zeus could be deceived, so he wasn't entirely omnipotent or omniscient like the Abrahamic God. But his authority could never be challenged because he had cemented his status by securing his past and his future from being usurped by any other opposition. He was the son of a Titan and had defeated them, and none of his sons, not Apollo, Ares, Hermes, or Dionysus, could ever achieve his power to overthrow him. The Olympians all knew they were subservient to Zeus, and so they did their best to keep him placated.

The only deities, if you could call them such, who had any power over Zeus were the Fates, to whom Hesiod admits that not even Zeus can control the course of life and death. Zeus gives to them the greatest honour, because he cannot reverse history, or destiny, any more than humans. But, being more personifications than gods, the Fates are not the rulers of the world, and in the war against the Giants they were defeated in battle, but Zeus was not.

fibi ducks

Dionysus is nowhere near as powerful as Zeus.
Hi Libros,
I think I can answer your points - but first I want to stay with the main theme...
No amount of might is protection against madness. Perhaps Zeus knew that,
and in his wisdom chose never to cross Dionysus.

But as to the points you make-
Yes, its said that Dionysus' mother was a mortal. I concede that that might lower his odds of getting the better of Zeus. But the odds don't guarantee the result do they? Ok, he is said to have been a late arival at Olympos. But why can't a late arrival be the greatest? Whatever Zeus did with the Titans, and his offspring by them - doesn't apply to Dionysus, who's mother as we have said was a mortal. As you mention, the idea that Zeus could raise up a rope with the earth and all the other gods on it... was put forward by Zeus himself to them. He isn't said to have done it. Also in the iliad, after a verbal show down with Posiedon, Zeus says as an aside to Apollo that it is better for both of them that the combat did not take place between them (Zeus and Posiedon) - as it would not have been settled without sweat. So Zeus here admits that even if he's greater than his brother, he's not that much greater. Thunderbolts, again, are no use if you've gone mad.

I do agree that most of the gods take the policy of placating Zeus a lot of the time. But does Dionysus? I can't think of a time when he does.

Please consider this idea! I must log off now as I am in a library and my time is up. FD