Giants

RLynn

Interesting article. Thanks for the link. I don't think it mentioned one of the most famous giants of all, the Philistine warrior Goliath. My favorite giants are the mysterious Nephilim, referred to in Genesis 6 and Numbers 13.

LegendofJoe

Interesting article. Thanks for the link. I don't think it mentioned one of the most famous giants of all, the Philistine warrior Goliath. My favorite giants are the mysterious Nephilim, referred to in Genesis 6 and Numbers 13.
The story of the Nephilim is told in more detail in the extrabiblical Book of Enoch.

RLynn

By the way, a good source for the pseudepigrapha, such as The Book of Enoch, is The Other Bible (love the title :D), edited by Willis Barnstone. I have it in my library but use it mainly for reference, not for straight reading.

LegendofJoe

I have The Other Bible too.
But I have not referenced it much.
From what i know of the Nephilim, they were born from the union of certain angels (called Watchers), and mortal women.
The angels taught these women various arts, such as magic and cosmetics(!) This is one of the reasons why magic is looked at with such disdain
in the Judeo-Christian religion.
From the corpses of the Nephilim arose demons.
Pretty different from the usual demon origins: that they were angels that sided with Lucifer.

dtango

When one compares the story of the Giants to the history of the Neanderthals one cannot but notice the two basic similarities: both had sexual relationships with members of the race that eventually drove them to extinction.

Gods, Men and Giants were names of different human races because they had sexual relationships between them and no such are possible between ordinary human beings and mythical monsters (as the Giants are usually depicted) or immaterial spiritual beings (as the gods are thought to have always been).

Moreover, the Giants were the forefathers of the gods and the gods were indistinguishable from humans.

Goddess Gaia (ΓΕ) is watching god Poseidon (ΠΟΣΕΙΔΩΝ, Neptune) killing the Giant Polybotes (ΠΟΛΥΒΩΤΗΣ).
No difference in size!

dtango

That was very interesting to read about, it would explain Stonehenge.
I could not understand what you meant until I remembered the following myth of the Norsemen, entitled “The Giantess’s Plaything”

The giants inhabited all the earth before it was given to mankind, and it was only with reluctance that they made way for the human race, and retreated into the waste and barren parts of the country, where they brought up their families in strict seclusion.
Such was the ignorance of their offspring, that a young giantess, straying from home, once came to an inhabited valley, where for the first time in her life she saw a farmer ploughing on the hillside. Deeming him a pretty plaything, she caught him up with his team and thrusting them into her apron, she gleefully carried them home to exhibit to her father. But the giant immediately bade her carry peasant and horses back to the place where she had found them, and when she had done so he sadly explained that the creatures whom she took for mere playthings, would eventually drive the giant folk away, and become masters of the earth. (H.A.Guerber, “Myths of the Norsemen, p 238).

Stonehenge, the plaything of a giant boy?

I could not understand what you meant until I remembered the following myth of the Norsemen, entitled “The Giantess’s Plaything”

The giants inhabited all the earth before it was given to mankind, and it was only with reluctance that they made way for the human race, and retreated into the waste and barren parts of the country, where they brought up their families in strict seclusion.
Such was the ignorance of their offspring, that a young giantess, straying from home, once came to an inhabited valley, where for the first time in her life she saw a farmer ploughing on the hillside. Deeming him a pretty plaything, she caught him up with his team and thrusting them into her apron, she gleefully carried them home to exhibit to her father. But the giant immediately bade her carry peasant and horses back to the place where she had found them, and when she had done so he sadly explained that the creatures whom she took for mere playthings, would eventually drive the giant folk away, and become masters of the earth. (H.A.Guerber, “Myths of the Norsemen, p 238).

Stonehenge, the plaything of a giant boy?
Interesting post; thanks for sharing. :) I think I've heard this story, or a variant, before... It certainly opens some interesting possibilities.

dtango

Interesting post; thanks for sharing. :) I think I've heard this story, or a variant, before... It certainly opens some interesting possibilities.
I regret to have to say that my remark about the giant boy’s plaything was ironical.
In my opinion the giants of the myths refer to Neanderthals and the megalithic monuments are the result of man’s ability to constantly improve his techniques.