Ghost sickness

Olsen

Ghost sickness is a psychotic disorder characteristic for the Navajo tribes. It is thought to be caused by association with the dead, and it consists of various symptoms: loss of appetite, a feeling of suffocation, recurring nightmares, feelings of terror...

The Native Americans attribute the sickness to ghosts (called "chindi") or, occasionally, to witches. Scientists, however, believe it is a culture-bound syndrome.

Have you ever heard about this?

Bobby Givens

I have heard about this and I think there was even a movie that talked about it, though the name escapes me at the moment. I think scientists try to explain it rationally, but ghosts and other supernatural beings do not have a rational explanation, do they?

Pegasus

In reading up on the subject, here are some interesting facts to share. Buruburu is the specific class of spirit to spread Ghost sickness. This is a virus, and not everyone is susceptible to catching it. The victim has to have physical contact with this spirit, or come in contact with someone else that suffers from Ghost sickness. Also, in order to contract it, the person must share a specific personality trait of the one that originally killed the Buruburu. In the end, the fear caused by this sickness is so sever, that the victim dies of a heart attack. Truly scary!

Willowtree

Psychological factors can cause heart attacks. If you believe something strongly enough, it's enough to give you a heart attack. I've seen it happen, a guy had a stroke because he was under so much stress concerning his missing daughter.

LegendofJoe

Holy Crap! Creepy stuff (and oddly cool).
Usually, when a person from a traditional society suffers from mental illness, it is a sign that the spirits have
selected him to become a shaman. The person then learns how to channel his odd behavior to contact
the spirits and aid his community.
But that is a different story.

Olsen

I agree, LegendofJoe. It is creepy indeed, especially considering the fact that this ghost sickness causes the highest rate of suicide among Native Americans.

I read a few articles online about American Indians that left their villages inexplicably after manifesting the symptoms mentioned above, and were found after several days dead by various kinds of self-inflicted wounds. Also, in the dirt near their bodies there were scribbled the names of their dead ancestors.