Genealogy

Bobby Givens

Have you ever researched your own family history? I did and was able to trace my lineage all the way back to the Mayflower. It was pretty interesting.

Pegasus

WOW Bobby, being able to go all the way back to the Mayflower is nothing short of amazing! I am in the process now of trying to do the research. It turns out that our family is related to a very well known wealthy family, but I am still trying to fit the last few pieces together on how they are related. It is hard since so many records were destroyed when there was the fire at Castle Garden.

greekgoddess31

Bobby, that is awesome! My family has some Native American chiefs in it which I thought was pretty cool. Pegasus, I have found that the group with the most information is the Church of Latter Day Saints. I am not a member but each local church has an extensive genealogy library and they can find just about anything.

Diana

I have traced most of my lines. Some trace back to natives, other's to Vikings and French Royalty. I have traced my husband's back to the Loyalists. One branch of my family was Acadian and was exiled so they ran with the natives instead.

Willowtree

My uncle and a distant cousin once did a study on one line of our family and searched it back to the 1800's but that's as far as they have gone so far. I want to trace my mother's father's side. He is the one with the most interesting story. He had a full brother and his mother passed after that baby. His father then married again and had another family. It's amazing how many things we find out when we dig in our ancestor's past

Diana

I have some of mine traced as far back as 1300's . I found some interesting things when I was digging in my husband's family lines. His Father was very distant, seems his Grandmother died young, at 35 and the kids were put into foster care.

Calliope

I haven't been able to trace my family back very far. You would think I'd be able to--my family name is uncommon. I've only gotten to the early 1800s. I have no idea what they've done before that, but there are family legends of how members in the family were married 10 or 12 times. lol

Diana

I have a line that does that, it basically disappears, it is because they married into each other. It is quite disturbing, but it seemed to happen a lot of the time.

Olsen

I haven't researched my family history, and I wouldn't know where to start even if I wanted to. The most distant ancestors I know about are from somewhere around 1840, but before that everything seems to be blurry in my lineage...

RLynn

There are a lot of gaps in my family history. It would be interesting to know more about it, but such knowledge would not affect who I am, so I rarely bother to research it. Not too long ago I saw a man whom I hadn't seen for years and years. I recognized him, but I didn't know that we were related. He didn't recognize me, so I introduced myself. He said, "My goodness, we're kin, and I didn't even recognize you." To be sure, I traced his ancestry on the internet, and discovered that he was a son of a sister of my maternal grandfather.

Skeptic sister

I'm fortunate enough to have most of my family history, I'm missing my paternal grandfather's side only.

I have both sides of inlaws family trees, for my daughter.

One side of the family goes back to the 1650's in Massachusetts and surrounding regions; the most recent branch is from Denmark.

cherub

I wish I could find out more, but all my grandparents are passed and my parents don't know much more than up to their grandparents. The only thing I know for sure is that my maternal grandfather was born in Denmark.

Helga

I am really into histoy and mysteries, so put these two together and you have researching your family ancestors. Anxious to get started on my Father's side as they seem to have a town in Alaska named after them. Once I can gather the information on how this came about, I am sure it will make for interesting research.

blarneyrubble

My father researched ours and to be fair, it was quite interesting. My grandmothers on my fathers side had a long and quite titled history throughout the middle ages whereas the trail on my grandfathers side seemed to end over in Ireland. The best thing about the whole experience was when he traced my mothers uncle to a WW1 war grave in belgium and consequently many memebrs of the family have been over to leave little keepsakes.

Im related to the great king of ireland goes by the name of Mcallister later changed last name to Allison, also on my mothers side, Jesse James the famous out law. freanch,german,irish,scottish,cherookee,comanche,apache,welsh,and swiss and spainard.......those are my blood lines from my parents....its tooo crazy!!!

Myrddin

How does it feel knowing you're related to the great Jesse James?

I have Scottish heritage from both my father's father's side and my mother's mother's side. My other grandfather is Irish and my other grandmother Swiss German. I have been focusing my research on my paternal side and so far have gone back to the 1600's.

I am really confused about my family history. I know the majority of my family comes from England and Ireland but I'm also Native American. My great grandma used to tell me that we were related to the royal family by something like 11 generations. It would be interesting to research that and find out if it's true.

Myrddin

I am really confused about my family history. I know the majority of my family comes from England and Ireland but I'm also Native American. My great grandma used to tell me that we were related to the royal family by something like 11 generations. It would be interesting to research that and find out if it's true.
That would be amazing. I would be interested to hear what you find out.

i
How does it feel knowing you're related to the great Jesse James?

I have Scottish heritage from both my father's father's side and my mother's mother's side. My other grandfather is Irish and my other grandmother Swiss German. I have been focusing my research on my paternal side and so far have gone back to the 1600's.
im proud to be realated to him,