Friends enjoy mythology

Enertia

Do your friends like to discuss mythology and urban legends, with you, or do they roll their eyes, when you bring it up. Thankfully, I have friends who enjoy talking about weird things, and dont mind me talking about subjects I enjoy.

Nadai

None of my friends or family care much about myth. They tend to roll their eyes or tune me out when I get going on some of my mythology bable. Most of my family is very religious so when I start talking about myths or other cultures' religious beliefs they just shake their heads at me-when you're raised to believe in one thing it's hard for some to break away from those teachings and take the time to learn about others. Because I studied Anthropology I was able to learn a great deal about different people in other parts of the world and how they lived (or live) their lives. It's all very interesting to me to learn that there are so many connections between groups of people who never had contact with one another. It makes you wonder whether, at a specific time in human evolution our minds as a race were all working out the same details about our creation, or whether each religion and myth has some sort of validity. Even studying archetypes you see how many cultures creation stories contain similarities-The Creation, The Ages, The Flood, etc. It's all pretty amazing. Even taking a look at pyramids! How was it that cultures around the world, without any contact with one another, came up with such similar ideas to create such geographically-based structures based around the idea that somewhere in the heavens someone would see their structures and reward them or notice them... Pyramids, Easter Island, batteries, THE NAZCA LINES!...How could such primitive people make things so advanced! There are even similarities in the depictions of men who came from the heavens ("sky people") instructing man and teaching them how to build such things! How can such similarities be merely a coincidence!?
...That's usually about the time I find myself talking to...myself:confused:

Myrddin

On one side of my family, I can talk about anything and about five seconds later, they will tune me out to chat with someone else. It's like "Is there a wall I can talk to?!"

Nadai

On one side of my family, I can talk about anything and about five seconds later, they will tune me out to chat with someone else. It's like "Is there a wall I can talk to?!"
That's exactly how I feel. Thank god for the forum or I'd spend most of my time talking to myself:rolleyes:

LegendofJoe

I understand your pain!!!
This forum helps.
I also joined a book club. It is only Greek and Roman mythology, but I sneak in some myths from
other cultures during discussions when it is pertinent.
We pride ourselves as being mythology geeks!!!

Nadai

I understand your pain!!!
This forum helps.
I also joined a book club. It is only Greek and Roman mythology, but I sneak in some myths from
other cultures during discussions when it is pertinent.
We pride ourselves as being mythology geeks!!!
I would love to find one of those. I tried forming a book club with friends of mine, but none of them seemed to be as interested in reading them as I was, even amongst the people of my Classics classes, but alas all in vain:(

LegendofJoe

I would love to find one of those. I tried forming a book club with friends of mine, but none of them seemed to be as interested in reading them as I was, even amongst the people of my Classics classes, but alas all in vain:(
That's too bad.
It is easier for me because i live in New York; there is always something here for someone to join.

Pegasis

I get the eye-rolling routine. It's too bad, really, because I find mythology to be instructive about many age-old truths that past peoples tried to preserve in story form. They're kind of missing out, but to each his own.

RLynn

I don't expect people to share my interests. Confucius said, "Happy is he who expects nothing." Lest that seem gender specific, it may be paraphrased thus: "Happy are they who expect nothing." :)

magickz

I get the eye-rolling routine. It's too bad, really, because I find mythology to be instructive about many age-old truths that past peoples tried to preserve in story form. They're kind of missing out, but to each his own.
I get that too but most of my friends know very well not to debate with me. It is actually listed on my Facebook page as one of the tid bits about me that I share with others. I also refuse to debate with idiots, so that helps. :)

Myrddin

I get that too but most of my friends know very well not to debate with me. It is actually listed on my Facebook page as one of the tid bits about me that I share with others. I also refuse to debate with idiots, so that helps. :)
That's fair. I don't really like debating with idiots either.;)

Nadai

A genius debating with an idiot becomes the idiot.

My immediate family enjoys discussing mythology and folklore, but eliminate the prospect of mentioning it in the company of extended family. I also have a few Facebook friends that enjoy mythology.