Friday the 13th

Katie

In "celebration" of today, Friday the 13th, I was just wondering how it all started? I've known this since I was itty bitty and I have yet to understand its roots. It's hilarious too that everyone thinks it is bad luck when statistics show that the least accidents happen during Friday the 13th, or is that just because everyone is extra careful? Haha.

magickz

I have no idea but the stories go on and on thats for sure. We were out earlier today and even at a furntiure store they tried to up-sell us based on it being Friday the 13th. The deal was off their "already low prices" but not anything extra off the "factory labeled" items.

Myrddin

In "celebration" of today, Friday the 13th, I was just wondering how it all started? I've known this since I was itty bitty and I have yet to understand its roots. It's hilarious too that everyone thinks it is bad luck when statistics show that the least accidents happen during Friday the 13th, or is that just because everyone is extra careful? Haha.
I think it is because everyone is just extra careful -- LOL. I actually didn't realize it was Friday the 13th until I found your post. Obviously I knew it was May 13 and that it was a Friday, but somehow my brain didn't put it together; everyone gets days like that sometimes though. Otherwise today felt like any other day, nothing special or new -- good or bad. It really is just superstition in my opinion.

As per to the history, or roots, of the day, here is a link to Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_Thirteenth#History

Rhonda Tharp

Matriarchal cultures of northern Europe followed the lunar cycles which came out to 13 months. Since the Norse Goddess Freya's day is "Friday," for the fertility number of 13 to fall on her day became negative/evil due to patriarchal cultures trying to get rid of the matriarchal traditions. I also read somewhere the Knights Templar leader De Molay was burned at the stake in October on Friday, the 13th...

RLynn

I've never noticed anything bad about Friday the 13th. I had several difficult solos in an orchestra concert yesterday evening, and everything went even more smoothly than usual. Maybe superstitions don't have any effect if you don't believe in them.

I don't believe any superstitions about Friday the 13th but I love how superstitious some other people are. One person I know doesn't even leave the house on the 13th if it's a Friday.

Isis

I don't worry about bad luck on Friday the 13th. Actually, I generally have a pretty good day whenever it's a Friday the 13th and this time was no exception.

Pegasus

Here are some personal things about Friday the 13th. First, I believe we have made it through the only Friday the 13th for this year. Yeah! We went to a restaurant on Friday, and one of the servers said that business was off all evening, and that on a local radio station, it was mentioned that many people refuse to leave their homes on that day. One gentleman I used to work with, only had car accidents on Friday the 13th. Not sure if you were born on Friday the 13th if that makes you extra lucky or not, but my one Grandmother was actually born on a Friday the 13th, I never met her, so I don't know if she was lucky or not!:)

Arachne

My most recent Friday the 13th was in fact a lovely day. I don't believe the curse follows me!

13 is the number of rebellion in Hebrew philosophy, IIRC. That's probably where the negative stigma comes from.