Football player positions

Myrddin

Does anyone here know football, and what some of the acronyms for player positions mean? I am working on a homework assignment of which I am redesigning a football players webpage, but only the acronyms are given. I am wanting to know what "R" stands for.

Myrddin

In this case, R is an abbreviation for a position, but there is no L. Just "R". Would it still mean Right, or without the L (or Left) position is it something completely different?

RLynn

My best guess would be that he means running back. Either that or it's a misprint or something.

Myrddin

It's not Running Back because they have RB for that. I guess I will have to assume it means Right. If anyone finds out otherwise, and is is after Sunday, Decmeber 11, please don't tell me.

RLynn

Maybe he just uses the term receiver instead of wide receiver? Is there a WR listed? There are three positions a wide receiver can have: split end, flanker, and slot receiver. Somehow just plain right just doesn't sound right. :confused: I have no other ideas, so I'll shut up now.

WinterWitch

I know RB is for Running Back, but that is about the extent of my knowledge. I agree with RLynn about "right" not sounding right though. It seems like maybe it would be receiver. I hope you find your answer!

Myrddin

I know RB is for Running Back, but that is about the extent of my knowledge. I agree with RLynn about "right" not sounding right though. It seems like maybe it would be receiver. I hope you find your answer!
I did not find the answer, or possible answer until now. I was just too busy on the weekend to remember to check, urgh!!! I would have used receiver too! As it is, I ended up handing it in using Right, instead. Not a big deal, though. They're not marking based on the correct usage of terms, so much as the overall appeal of the site. Thank you for all your help, RLynn! And WinterWitch.