First dog

Isis

In Sioux legend, First Dog made a pact with First Man & First Woman, that humans will always provide shelter and food to dogs, and in return dogs will offer loyalty and protection. If one dog is denied, humans will suffer war, sickness, and disease until all humans honor the pact again.

I guess this is their way of explaining human suffering.

Ladyhawk

I like this myth, but then I tend to like all legends or myths relating to dogs. I do want to add that another Native American Tribe has a similar legend. I can't remember much of it, other than the first dogs helped man to hunt and in return they have a place and a home with man for eternity.

DLegend

I never knew about this myth but it seems like it is based on the relationship of dogs and humans from the start of history. Anywhere in the world, there are dogs and they are always a companion of humans.

Quentin Woolery

Dogs are such innocent creatures, I have no idea why anyone would ever treat one badly. It hurts me to see animals and children abused when they can't defend themselves.

WoodNymph

I have always wondered how there got to be so many, and so varied, types of dogs. I had read that dogs were descendants of wolves, but then how do you explain poodles and Chihuahuas?

LegendofJoe

I have always wondered how there got to be so many, and so varied, types of dogs. I had read that dogs were descendants of wolves, but then how do you explain poodles and Chihuahuas?
Hmmm. I might be wrong, but I believe that the basic dog type that appears naturally is closer in appearance to wolves.
Poodles and chihuahuas have to be bred to look the way they do.

WoodNymph

Poodles and chihuahuas have to be bred to look the way they do.
But what would you breed a wolf-looking dog with to turn it into a poodle? It's one thing to cross a big dog with a small dog to get a middle-sized one, but how do you introduce a pug nose or afghan hair?

LegendofJoe

But what would you breed a wolf-looking dog with to turn it into a poodle? It's one thing to cross a big dog with a small dog to get a middle-sized one, but how do you introduce a pug nose or afghan hair?
I really have no idea. lol
I have to do some research on this one. I guess that the breeding requires many generations.

greekgoddess31

It is a cross of breeding and evolution. Animals (and people too) adjust to their living conditions which is why early man had so much more hair on his body.

I think this is a great legend though about the dogs protecting us.

justbelieve

This is really interesting. I wonder why they always said dog is man's best friend, it has to do something with this myth. Protect the dog and be protected ~ so we are in war right now, why is that?

Allie-Gator

Dogs have had certain traits bred into them over the years. If you want a small dog-keep breeding the smallest of the litter to the smallest of another litter. Keep doing that and eventually you will have a 4 pound dog.

Olsen

Well, besides loyalty and protection, dogs have offered the Native American tribes (the Apache and Navajo) help in the process of migration, 1,400 years ago. Dogs were an important part of life for the Athabascan population in North America, and were their only domesticated animal. Use of dogs as pack animals in these cultures often persisted after the introduction of the horse to North America.

magickz

I remember my first, a crazy little toy poodle that my mother thought would be a great first pet. If anyone is confused most toy poodles have serious attitude issues and do not play well with toddlers. ;)