Finding your native american heritage

Nora_Rose

When I was young my family researched our Native American roots. We found enough Native blood percentages in us that we received roll numbers. We took up with a local tribe and learned so much from the Elders! The tribe had a major meeting each month and Pow Wows throughout the year. Also there were demonstrations for schools and various groups to help people understand the culture. After high school I lost contact but recently got back in touch.

I think it's great to learn and teach your heritage! So my question is has anyone out there done research on their Native American heritage? Do you meet up with others to learn or did you end it at the search?

Allie-Gator

I know I have enough of an ancestor percentage that I can claim status. The only problem is with the documentation. Family history is sound and has been passed down through the generations. We just don't have the paper documentation.

magickz

I would not even know where to actually begin. We have a weird issue in our family, my grandmother (father's mother) refuses to give anyone an inkling of who his father was/is. So we are at a lose there and more than likely that is where the Cherokee comes from.

Nora_Rose

I wonder why he will not tell anyone? Could it be that he was embarrassed of his heritage? Maybe his father was an outlaw and he was ashamed? It would eat away at me if I could not find out!