• Hera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demeter

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Hestia

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Myrddin

Hey, I was just curious who everyone's favourite initial Olympian god or goddess is. You know, those who were born by Cronus and Rhea (the titans).

Nadai

I love Pluto! I feel like he got short-changed because his older brothers got to pick first. I feel like he managed the underworld much better than Zeus managed the heavens and the rest of the world. But he was known as the God of wealth because he had everything. Pluto means wealth...it wasn't until Western literature got hold of him and started to change his image to that of a devil like Christianity's Satan. But Pluto was a nice man...his only crime being that he kidnapped his wife who eventually fell in love with him. I think he was a much better god than the others.

Argus

I voted Demeter, she said thats it!, no more crops! till i get back whats rightfully mine. ok it ended up 50/50 but you have to admire her.

Myrddin

I have decided that I like Hestia, goddess of the hearth, because she is the goddess of the hearth. Plus, she is the only one of the original six that doesn't annoy me in any way, shape, or form.

Nadai

I feel bad that Hera got no votes. I'm sure she had some good in her. I think she's seen in such a negative light (at least from my perspective) because of her husbands misdeeds, but I'm sure she had her moments of niceness. Because of Zeus all we ever see her doing is cursing some unfortunate human who had the misfortune of being molested by the god...that or having an affair of her own (again, Zeus' fault). Poor girl; if I was married to a man like that I can't imagine I'd do much but plot and scheme myself.

Myrddin

Hera still has the free will of choice, though. She could choose to not punish the innocent mortals that Zeus seduced (but she does). She could realize that it is not the fault of the mortal, but that the fact is that, strictly speaking, Zeus is the hindquarters of a donkey. Neither can you blame Zeus for Hera's own infidelity (though he is certainly the cause). All I mean is, you can't just simply say it's Zeus's fault. Again, Hera has the choice. She could choose not to. A wrong does not equal a right. However, there is nothing wrong with holding a grudge. I do feel bad for her, though, being married to such a twerp.

krugos

I find the many characterizations I've seen in fiction of Zeus and Poseidon, affects negatively my appreciation for them both. I like Hades the most, followed by Demeter and Hestia. I don't think I like Hera that much.

Rebirth_Myth

:mad:Olympia has a ruler and it is Zeus, return the thunderbolt Jesus stole(he lied) God(lies) the gods favor greatness not humble pathetic stupid worthlessness sadisticness, literally lying fools who fear death Jesus was false
however Greek mythology is the myth or in English that means reality--- appease the gods worship the Gods revive Zeus!

Nadai

I find the many characterizations I've seen in fiction of Zeus and Poseidon, affects negatively my appreciation for them both. I like Hades the most, followed by Demeter and Hestia. I don't think I like Hera that much.
I agree. A lot of the myths you see do tend to show a great bit of negativity surrounding Poseidon and Zeus. Them raping women. Them being upset and moved to wrath by petty things (like Hera). They seem to be a bit more like bored kids with a lot of power and nothing better to do that squat on humanity. That's why I like Ovid so much. He doesn't bow to the Olympians the way some other poets, like Hesiod, do. He tells the truth about the way they are, douche bags:rolleyes:

Nadai

:mad:Olympia has a ruler and it is Zeus, return the thunderbolt Jesus stole(he lied) God(lies) the gods favor greatness not humble pathetic stupid worthlessness sadisticness, literally lying fools who fear death Jesus was false
however Greek mythology is the myth or in English that means reality--- appease the gods worship the Gods revive Zeus!
Could you explain that? I couldn't really follow this post. You're saying Jesus stole Zeus' thunder bolt and that he is sadistic and seeks only greatness?

I don't think that anyone would try to dispute that Greek myth states that Zeus ruled Olympus, but Jesus came later. I don't think I've ever read a myth where the two converge. In the Bible there are a few things about other gods and there are times when they call Hell Hades. They are two entirely different places. Hades, in Greek myth, was a place of rest for the dead, gods and man alike. Good and evil. Christianity repainted the afterlife as something bad. Even the way they recreated Hades, as always being dark and evil and menacing and greed, because death can only look like something abhorrent. The Bible also paints Rome as being a giant orgy-fest, but, in truth, Roman's weren't that way at all. They weren't all into PDA at all. Sex was reserved for the home, behind closed doors and in private (aside from where servants were concerned, you could have sex in front of your servants because they weren't significant enough). And there was no such thing as homosexuality. Men would take a student and teach him everything he knew and they would have a sexual relationship, but it was a completely natural thing. After the boy reached adulthood he would take a wife and so would end his relationship with his teacher. He would then take a student. The Romans adopted this practice from the Greeks because they saw how well the Greeks fought. They realized that the Greeks soldiers had a solidarity amongst one another because of their relationships. Christianity painted this, also, in a bad light. Making it seem bad and sinful and punishable by death (everyone in Sodom were killed because of it, even children). Yet another theme in Christianity, kids had to suffer and die along with their parents. There were cases in Roman and Greek myth where sons had to answer for their father's sins. Daughters had to be sacrificed for their mother's pride. There is a lot of clashing where Pagan religions and Christianity is concerned. Early Christians took a lot of ideas from Pagans when they were developing their own religion. When they decided to crush Paganism they didn't just destroy it, they warped it to be viewed as something their religion found acceptable. Like the holidays that many Christians and Catholics celebrate. Christmas is always the first to come to mind because of all of the inconsistencies between what the Bible says about Jesus' birth and what present day Christians say about Christmas, the date more than anything. I think, though, that that is to be expected in any case of assimilation. If I'm not mistaken, it was the Romans who, rather than completely obliterating a culture after conquering them, they would allow them to hold on to their beliefs and ideals as long as they remembered to pay taxes and honor Caesar. But when Christians came along, they made the Romans out to be a terrible and sinful group of people just because they were accepting of so many things. But, unlike what Christianity would have us believe of Rome, it was a beautiful place. I wish I could have seen it, actually. The way it was once, not the way Christianity, and even Hollywood, made it out to be or made it into. Back when Vesta's light still burned in her temple guarded by her virgins;):D:)

Last edited: