Favorite piece of artwork?

OracleLady

What painting or sculpture that incorporates Greek mythology is your favorite? There are so many it's hard to come up with one. "Cronus Devouring his Children" is a shocking painting, but it is still one of my favorites. Does that say something about me?

RLynn

Although popularly called the Venus de Milo, Ἀφροδίτη τῆς Μήλου is actually an ancient Greek statue of Aphrodite. It has always been a favorite of mine.

That's one of my favorites too, RLynn. It's one of the most honest beautiful statues of a normal woman I've ever seen. I would have loved to have seen her with her arms intact.

RLynn

That's one of my favorites too, RLynn. It's one of the most honest beautiful statues of a normal woman I've ever seen. I would have loved to have seen her with her arms intact.
I agree, Owl. For a youngster you have good taste. :) (I was born in 1938.)

Myrddin

I've alway liked "The Birth of Venus" painting. I'd say that is probably my favourite mythology based piece.

The "Venus de Milo" sculpture... I believe that that is featured in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, the scene in which Blinkin tries to open a door and promptly smacks into it because the door is gone. "I'm quite sure there was a door there." ..... "Blinkin, they've taken the castle!" -- "I thought it felt a bit drafty."

RLynn

.....The "Venus de Milo" sculpture... I believe that that is featured in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, the scene in which Blinkin tries to open a door and promptly smacks into it because the door is gone. "I'm quite sure there was a door there." ..... "Blinkin, they've taken the castle!" -- "I thought it felt a bit drafty."
I gotta watch that movie again, Myrddin.

Myrddin

I gotta watch that movie again, Myrddin.
You should, that movie is hilarious. There is another good quote in that same scene, but wish not to repeat for fear of offending anyone. You know, when Blinking assumes the sculpture is Robin of Loxley.

OracleLady

Although popularly called the Venus de Milo, Ἀφροδίτη τῆς Μήλου is actually an ancient Greek statue of Aphrodite. It has always been a favorite of mine.
I've seen Venus de Milo up close and personal. She stands right out in the open so you can walk around her in the Louvre Museum in Paris. As I recall, the sculpture is a little taller than my 5'2", for I remember looking up at her, although not far up. She's beautiful, of course, but the nearby statues of The Dying Captive took my breath away. Michelangelo turns marble into what looks like living flesh. I love this Venus, and Botticelli's, too.

magickz

I am not really sure, art for me is something I can kind of go crazy for. If I had all the money in the world you would not see the walls of my house or office, it would be covered with amazing art. Not really sure I could pick just one.

RLynn

I've seen Venus de Milo up close and personal. She stands right out in the open so you can walk around her in the Louvre Museum in Paris. As I recall, the sculpture is a little taller than my 5'2", for I remember looking up at her, although not far up. She's beautiful, of course, but the nearby statues of The Dying Captive took my breath away. Michelangelo turns marble into what looks like living flesh. I love this Venus, and Botticelli's, too.
Michelango is amazing. I love this exchange between him and the Pope:
After seeing Michelangelo’s statue of David, the Pope asked him, “How do you know what to cut away?”
Michelangelo replied: “It’s simple. I just remove everything that doesn’t look like David.”

Myrddin

I like Bernini's sculpture, "The Rape of Proserpina" though Proserpina is for Romans, but still I like the details exerted by Bernini here.
here is the link for you to see the sculpture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_Proserpina
It looks amazing. I like how the artist actually made the stone look like flesh, especially where the the man's fingers press into Proserpina. I would love to see that statue up close and personal. Thanks for sharing.

yeah, it's so interesting and the details are so great! Bernini is such a talented artist, and finished this masterpiece at the age of 23! :O

Oak Leaves

I like the ones where the Muses are dancing around in a circle. I think it's the Muses. There are just three of them so it may be someone else. I have a plate somewhere with these beautiful ladies dancing on it.

Rhonda Tharp

I like the ones where the Muses are dancing around in a circle. I think it's the Muses. There are just three of them so it may be someone else. I have a plate somewhere with these beautiful ladies dancing on it.
I've seen the image of the three women - I think those are the Graces. Euphrosyne (rapture), Aglaia (splendor) and Thalia (abundance) There are 9 Muses.

Oak Leaves

I've seen the image of the three women - I think those are the Graces. Euphrosyne (rapture), Aglaia (splendor) and Thalia (abundance) There are 9 Muses.
You're right, Rhonda! I also know they are the Graces. I wasn't thinking there for a moment. I believe someone called what I have an antique mulberry plate, but I haven't done my research on mulberry plates. Thanks for setting me straight!