Favorite greek myth?

Zecora

What's your favorite greek myth? My favorite, hands-down, is Eris and her golden apple. Who would have thought you could cause so much trouble with just one little trinket...

RLynn

I like the one about the newborn infant Hermes stealing the cattle from Apollo and inventing the lyre. When confronted about the theft, Hermes played the lyre, and Apollo was so entranced by the sound that he agreed to let Hermes keep the cattle in exchange for the lyre.

Nadai

My favorite is The Rape of Persephone, though I didn't see it as such since she fell in love with him. As a matter of fact, after hearing that one myth stated that her abduction was planned, I looked into it online-however credible it was-and saw that, in one myth, Persephone was deeply in love with Hades. So much so that she ran away with him and hid in the underworld away from her mother. The boy who was supposedly turned into a lizard for laughing at her abduction, was actually cursed by Demeter for watching her escape and keeping it a secret. Persephone took pity on the boy once his spirit reached the underworld and so made him her servant. It wasn't until Demeter started killing the earth that Zeus ordered the release of Persephone, but they bargained with the god-king and so now Persephone is allowed 6 months per year with her husband and the other six with her mother.
Aside from that my favorite is the myth Cephalus and Procris. It's such a sweet, but tragic story about enduring love and trust.

Zecora

Another one that I'm fond if is when Artemis turned the one hunter (his name escapes me) into a stag, and had him torn apart by his own hounds. The gods had a wicked sense of humor.

Nadai

Another one that I'm fond if is when Artemis turned the one hunter (his name escapes me) into a stag, and had him torn apart by his own hounds. The gods had a wicked sense of humor.

I think I remember that myth...that was the one where the hunter had stumbled upon her bathing and seen only her back. He was so afraid that he ran away and while he was running she transformed him and his friends and dogs chased him down and his dogs ate him. The moral of the story being close your before you enter a clearing because there might be a virgin goddess bathing there.

hmmm, one of my fave is the myth about Poseidon's two sons who are both cyclops or giants. They are the Aloadea twins (namely Otus and Ephialtes)
They just loved each other so much and cared for each other. They are troublesome that one of their "great" deeds is to imprison Ares on a chest. Hermes came to save Ares and Hermes succeed. Not yet contented, they planned to pile Mt. Ossa to Mt. Pelion (don't know if I got the names correctly, sorry) or the other way around. Zeus got tired of this twins' doings and decided to kill them by using his thunderbolts, but the twins' father Poseidon intervened and told Zeus that he'll talk to his sons. For some time, the twins seem to listen to their father's plea, but they didn't.
They decided to carry off the goddess they love, one of them decided to kidnapHera, the other one Artemis. I don't know what happened but they decided to have Artemis first. They saw Artemis and followed her through the woods, but the goddess knew what they're thinking. Finally they lost sight of her and instead found a lovely doe(not sure what kind of animal) and decided to capture it, both forgot that they are there to have Artemis. The two separate ways to capture the animal faster. Both cast and throw their spear towards the animal but they were both shocked to see that their spears stuck, not the animal, but instead they stuck each other, killing them.
So in the end, it seems that they kill each other lol
Sorry for this long post.

Zecora

Wouldn't surprise me if that "beautiful doe" was actually Artemis herself.

I'd feel really sorry for the two if they decided to go after Hera first, though. Hera did not take crap off of anybody.

fairywings

My favorite is the creation of the world. "In the beginning there was only chaos. Then out of the void appeared Erebus, the unknowable place where death dwells, and Night. All else was empty, silent, endless, darkness. Then somehow Love was born bringing a start of order. From Love came Light and Day. Once there was Light and Day, Gaea, the earth appeared..."

Oak Leaves

One of my favorites is the story of Narcissus and Echo. I have known many people like Narcissus in my time. They pass a lake, or a department store mirror or stayed glued to whatever mirror they can find. Woe be to the person who wants to be loved by this type of person.