Fake celebrity deaths

Katie

Just a few days ago, RIP Jackie Chan was trending on twitter and people really thought he died. He isn't the first person to be rumored to be dead. How do these death rumors start really? I think they're horrible and just... wrong. Death is a serious thing so I don't know how people can start these.

Nadai

Maybe some actors start them to get their name mentioned. Like if they think, 'I haven't been in the news in a while, I wonder if people have forgotten about me.' So they fake their death to see what type of attention they will get. It's common knowledge that you get much more fame in death than in life. Just like when musical groups say that they are doing one last tour so that the whole world shows up to their concert to say goodbye, and all those same fans show up for the "welcome back" tour as well.

Katie

I see your point, it's possible, but I think it's a horrible thing to do to yourself. That's very conceited as well and self-centered to worry people with how you are and it's all just for publicity. Then again, some celebrities really are fame hungry...

Nadai

I always thought so... Look at Screech! What I always hated about celebrities is how they try to make it seem like they don't like the spotlight... celebrities that complain about getting followed around and harassed; if you don't want to be stalked then don't be famous. But now I could make the complaint that everyone is getting famous... "Oh, your practicing illegal behavior by being married to 10 women... lets give you your own show!" "Oh, you've lost your family, mind, and job? Lets give you even more money than what you used to make and you can come and rant to the world on a stage." Celebs do crazy things because they get attention for it, even when they say they don't want attention, well they have to get on tv and give an interview to tell you how annoyed they are with being on television.

Pegasus

I can see your point. Faking your death is really hitting bottom. Here is some food for thought though. If their life was so horrible, then why "come back" and claim it all to be a hoax or misunderstanding, if the reason it was done in the first place was to escape the limelight? The second thought here is how many people follow this so closely that they could not exist without this drama trauma. It must surely be working, or famous people would not be doing it.

blarneyrubble

I think it's just a way of getting some attention (usually coincident with the release of a movie or autobiography!). The whole world of celebrity is soooo depressing.

Olsen

Most of these celebrity death rumours you see around the web are not started by the celebrities themselves, but by users of random popular websites that have a powerful influence upon the world wide web (e.g.: 4chan, Twitter, Ebaumsworld...).

One celebrity whose death I would wish with all my heart it were fake is Brittany Murphy. Too beautiful, too talented, too tragic...

Katie

One celebrity whose death I would wish with all my heart it were fake is Brittany Murphy. Too beautiful, too talented, too tragic...
:( I LOVED her. Too young to go. Yeah, I wish that was a fake death - and Michael Jackson! But ah... that's life.

On topic: Yea especially Twitter. Silly thing is that when an RIP trends on twitter, everyone makes a fuss about it and it trends even more.