Fairy door

Enertia

Has anyone heard of fairy doors before? I can not recall the details, but I saw small altars to fairies one time. The altars were tiny doors, set into walls, at a persons home. People would leave small trinkets at the doors, for fairies. I just thought this was an interesting idea, and wanted to know if anyone knew anymore on the subject.

I've always heard if you pick any fruit from any type of brambles, you should leave a small thimble sized portion of honey beneath the brambles for the fairies who live there. They are reported to live under any type of brambles. I thought it was a charming little custom.

Nadai

I don't know if you've read any of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, but she mentions a fairy door. In her books the door is actually a portal to the fairy world. There are several around the world in her books, but are later closed to protect humans from fairies. One door is left open on Sookie's property. She doesn't leave gifts for the fairies though, in fact, she dumps a dead body through said door to hide it:(
Aside from that, I've never heard of a fairy door, but it would be interesting to find such a thing. The way it happened in the Stackhouse novels was that if you stuck your foot in it would just disappear and go straight to the fairy world-though it'd still be attatched of course;) I think, though, that it'd be a bit disconcerting to see your foot disappear right in front of you, whether you could still feel it or not:eek:

Enertia

I am going to have to see if my library has those books. They sound like a fun read. I think the fairy doors that I read about, were just tributes to fairies. Kind of like how a Pagan sets up an alter for the goddess.

Enertia

I am going to have to see if my library has those books. They sound like a fun read. I think the fairy doors that I read about, were just tributes to fairies. Kind of like how a Pagan sets up an alter for the goddess.

Fairyologist

Has anyone heard of fairy doors before? I can not recall the details, but I saw small altars to fairies one time. The altars were tiny doors, set into walls, at a persons home. People would leave small trinkets at the doors, for fairies. I just thought this was an interesting idea, and wanted to know if anyone knew anymore on the subject.
Yes, I have heard of fairy doors. Fairy doors in ancient mythology are simply gateways to the fairy world, they can be holes, an archway in a hedge, a stone post and lintel construction (or natural formation). Urban-fairy fairy doors are not alters, they are entrances. http://urban-fairies.com/ There are many bogus "fairy doors" hither and yon. The ones that look like they do not belong... probably do not.

magickz

I have heard the note about the fruit pickings but never anything about the doors before. That is a little new to me. Then again lately I have seen a ton of places advertise fairy furniture too, not specific for a fairy but they sell it as "made by a fairy".

Nadai

I have heard the note about the fruit pickings but never anything about the doors before. That is a little new to me. Then again lately I have seen a ton of places advertise fairy furniture too, not specific for a fairy but they sell it as "made by a fairy".
Wouldn't stuff made by fairies be super tiny? I've always figured that fairies would all be Tinker Bell size. The fairies in Sookie Stackhouse are all human size, I assume to make them more attractive. They are ridiculously irresistable. Aside from that, I don't know much of anything about fairy lore, but it is interesting to think about.

Fairyologist

Wouldn't stuff made by fairies be super tiny? I've always figured that fairies would all be Tinker Bell size. The fairies in Sookie Stackhouse are all human size, I assume to make them more attractive. They are ridiculously irresistable. Aside from that, I don't know much of anything about fairy lore, but it is interesting to think about.
Actually, in the UK, the Fae (Fey), fairy folk were often human sized, and tended to be at least mischievous at least, if not down right malicious. Some would spoil milk, tangle hair, steal children! It was not until Victorian times that the wee winged sort began to appear as embellishments to literary works. But as with any good folk tale (mythology), they change with the times and the retelling (or singing).