Egg whites and burns

Allie-Gator

There has been reports going around that if you have a burn, you should beat up an egg white and apply it as fast as possible. This is NOT the case at all. I've also heard of using tomato sauce, potato slices, yogurt, cool mud and other things that are also of no use. Egg whites can actually have a detrimental effect in the form of potential infections and complications from that. Please be careful when these type of emails start coming around!

Toni

Never heard of using egg whites for burns. I have always kept an aloe plant in my house and use that for burns as well as cuts and scrapes. It works very, very well.

Arachne

I don't have an aloe plant but that's the cure I've always heard recommended, never heard about the egg whites. Thanks for the warning!

I also heard that if you have a burn, you could actually apply a small amount of toothpaste on the affected area! Don't know if it's effective though :p

Myrddin

I also heard that if you have a burn, you could actually apply a small amount of toothpaste on the affected area! Don't know if it's effective though :p
I've heard that, too. I've never tried it, though. I'm happy to say, I don't usually get the chance.