Dragons

Veles

In Macedonian folk stories there are two names for dragon: zmej (read zmey) and lamja (read lamya). Lamya is more archaic and more prevalent in folklore.
The lamya is usually evil, it kidnapps girls and holds them againsts their will (until some brave shepperd saves them and fights it off). It more rearly does any real damage - like destroying cities and villages and things like that.

Anyway, I find the fact that many nations in the world have dragons in their folklore quite interesting, and even though they are sometimes quite different in their representation, most traits are still common.

duck

I read in a Science book once and I found that scientists think they found a type of "dragon", an extinct dinosaur that "breathed" fire. :eek:

BTW, you may want to check out this dragons of the world page: BBC - h2g2 - Dragons

htmlmaster

Would it be really small, really old, and stored in a little glass case? I think I've seen the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's at the Smithsonian.

TinyStar

There is always a little truth to myth and legend, I believe. Perhaps the dragons weren't a huge as legend tells but there are a lot of things that we imagine bigger to make them seem more impressive.

aprilcanadian

well we have komodo dragons!

perhaps dragons were dinosaurs that managed to stick around after the catastrophic event that killed most of them...a few straglers left behind.

i think it is interesting more then one cultre from far reaching areas had dragon legends.

htmlmaster

perhaps dragons were dinosaurs that managed to stick around after the catastrophic event that killed most of them...a few straglers left behind.
That's very unlikely. Firstly, "a few straglers" would have to be a lot more than a few for every human to see them. Second, we would also have seen fossils from 60 million years ago till about 15,000 years ago, which obviously isn't the case.

Laurel Tavington

I'm not certain if the giant flying reptiles that we have come to associate with dragon lore ever truly existed, but the Komodo Dragon is considered to be the only "true" dragon alive. As for the reason why many cultures have draconian legends, the simple answer is cultural drift. This is, if you don't already know, when one culture comes into contact with another and aspects from these cultures are shared. In other words, on culture, like the Chinese, had stories about dragons; and when they came into contact with other culture (Japanese, Indian, Islamic) through trade, warfare, or migration these stories were picked up by the other cultures and spread farther. Eventually variations of such stories exist in many different counties, and new ones are created.

ThoughtOnFire

I think it is fascinating as a mythological creature that Dragons breathed Fire. It is commonly just overlooked because we all know the they Breathe Fire. But think about how cool it actually is! All animals shy away from Fire except humans who were given Fire by Prometheus or another trickster of mythology. But Dragons...! They Breathed Fire! They were Masters of It!

That would be amazing if evidence of Dragons was uncovered somewhere. Though I personally believe they are representations of Kundalini! In the Mythologies of Mesoamerica we have the Feathered Serpents which could have been a Prototype for Dragon Lore, and then there is the Caduceus which has appeared there. Which seemingly represents the Ida - Pingala - and Sushumna of The Yoga wisdom tradition(s).

Still further with personal ideas: The Sacrum bone, which is last to burn in Fire, the Sacred Bone, where the Kundalini rests in three and half coils, actually looks similiar to a Dragons Head...with the Spine being the Dragon's Tail.

Just some thoughts :)

Rascaduanok

any% Speedrunner
Perhaps…

jak80;71 said:
I am wondering if people passed down experiences with some kind of dinosaur like things that were then made into dragons.
I wonder if people unearthing dinosaur bones at first ‘reconstructed’ their shapes incorrectly and created some sort of dragon–like creature from them.

But legends do persist of dragons. I think they have entered our imagination and culture now, and like werewolves or vampires, will remain fertile ground for discussion, reverence, belief, and so on.

Swordmaster

Swordmaster
Hm, dragons, truly magnificent creatures. To soar the seemingly endless skies with such freedom and grace, it would be a majestic picture. Though some may lash out against such comments as what will come from my mouth, I speak the truth of my mind.

Logically, how can dragons be possible?

Commonly thought, a dragon could most likely be related to or even an actual pre-historic beat like a dinosaur. Yes, a 'dragon' can indeed exist as a dinosaur or other such being with similar qualities, but we have no true proof; well, none that I know of.

By human nature, people tend to twist facts subconsciously, this in truth is proven with fact. Though many religious believers may hate for my next few words, I believe it should be said. Ever since humanity's early and primal days, we have striven to 'define' the 'undefinable'. Such instances as sudden illness and miracles of life were more than likely interpreted as 'the will of God/the will of the gods'. Now, if our pre-historic ancestors were to see some kind of large reptile with striking resemblances to a dinosaur... what do you suppose we, humans, would do? We would warp such a feared creature into something even worse. Though, depending on the person, the shape and form of this creature may be warped as well as their standing.

Some perceive dragons as enormous creatures which are blood-thirsty killers, while others think of them as gentle guardians of their designated element (whether it be water, fire, lightning, ice, or mother earth). Nagas, wyrms, wurms, wyverns, dragons, they all share striking resemblances to each other, truthfully, I think these legendary creatures are merely different perceptions of the same universal beast.

Though, there are things which science cannot explain, those things are what I'd like to believe are magic, surreal, special. Dragons, truly enigmatic.

Eragon

Eragon Shadeslayer & Demo
dragons

of course they are real! there is evidence of them all around us like deer in trees with missing limbs or scorched grass and most of all there not beast they're their own race most of them are more intellegent than all humans! if you wanna know more just tell me