Do you belive in unicorns?

cherub

My family makes fun of me because I'm a grown woman and still believe in and collect unicorn figurines. When they say they don't exist because they've never seen one, I always reply with something like "just because you haven't seen something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist".

Libros

So are you asking for our opinion of unicorns or for validation of your claim?

I'll give both. No I don't believe in unicorns, any more than dragons, fairies, griffins or chupacabras.

And my opinion of "just because you haven't seen something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist" is that it's selectively applied. If you aggressively believe in unicorns, do you equally and aggressively believe in fire-breathing dragons, child-killing fairies, man-eating griffins, and blood-sucking chupacabras? These are all fantastic creatures embedded in mythology, and haven't been seen, only stories told and pictures drawn.

iheartdragons

I think it's okay to believe in what you like for fantasy reasons, but I hope you know the difference between fantasy and reality. I mean, as much as I love dragons, I know they don't exist, but I continue to decorate my house in admiration.

LegendofJoe

Cherub
You go ahead and continue to enjoy collecting unicorns. I enjoy dragon collecting myself.
It does not matter if they don't exist.
My Aunt collects pigs. Some pigs are even laughing! Pigs exist, but ever heard of a laughing pig!

cherub

Thank you, I will! I appreciate that it's all just myth, but I live my life in whimsy and it's all about fun. I am not being selective, I only mentioned unicorns because that's what I like, but I do think there could have been fire breathing dragons and fairies. Why not?

cherub

Dinosaurs that spit poison? I haven't heard of that one. Why not fairies? Where did the stories of these mythical creatures start anyways, I have always wondered these things?

LegendofJoe

The poison-spitting dinosaur is Dilophosaurus. It blinded its enemies with the poison and was featured in the film Jurasic Park.

I don't know what it is about the human psyche that made us invent fairies. What I mean by fairies are human-like beings that are not mortal like us and live out in the wild away from civilization. They occupy a sort of supernatural place that is not seen by humans unless the fairies want us to.
Some fairies are domestic, like the Russian Domovoi: a small hairy being that lives in the home.
The fairy faith is strong in Ireland. There is a story that the gods once inhabited Ireland, and though magical, they were defeated by humans and chose the hills and caverns to dwell in. Over time they became known as the "Little People."
Whenever something strange happened they were involved.
So who knows? Maybe in prehistoric or ancient times there were different tribes fighting for land in Ireland. Some group was ousted, but they never really quite left, and still haunt the place.
But this is conjecture.

Katie

I am a unicorn :)

No not really, but seriously, I'd like to believe they're real and I believe they were. But now not really.. probably extinct or in hiding. Our world is still full of surprises so I'd like to think anything is possible :D

Nadai

So are you asking for our opinion of unicorns or for validation of your claim?

I'll give both. No I don't believe in unicorns, any more than dragons, fairies, griffins or chupacabras.

And my opinion of "just because you haven't seen something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist" is that it's selectively applied. If you aggressively believe in unicorns, do you equally and aggressively believe in fire-breathing dragons, child-killing fairies, man-eating griffins, and blood-sucking chupacabras? These are all fantastic creatures embedded in mythology, and haven't been seen, only stories told and pictures drawn.
http://www.livescience.com/13356-el-chupacabra-mystery-solved.html
As I like to say, myth is 5% fact, 5% proof, 40% mass hysteria, and 50% faked. Here is the truth about the Chupacabra for those who hadn't heard.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/06/unicorns-are-re/
As for you cherub, here's your Unicorn:] I say keep believing.

Libros

The reason why I listed those other creatures alongside the unicorn is that the vast majority of media surrounding unicorns is gentle, beneficial, magical, and positive. Unicorns are bright and pure symbols of pride and strength. When unicorns are hunted, it's an unforgivable crime, at worst a sin.

But you will get stories of monsters that eat people alive, fairies that steal children sleeping from their beds and chupacabras that suck herds dry. They're horrible and often frightening. But these creatures have everything in common with unicorns in that they spring from mythology and folklore, have never been seen conclusively, and are regularly depicted in art and literature. Rarely do you get a story of someone gored to death by a unicorn's horn or trampled by one.

So I ask where the difference lies in believing in unicorns against all these other nightmarish creatures. I think it selective because unicorns are "safe" and benign, whereas to believe in child-killing fairies and man-eating rocs would be judged in a harsher light.

Helga

Unicorns are depicted as such noble creatures. I have always been drawn to horses, and unicorns would be like the next generation with wings. Collect away Cherub and put a smile in your day. There should always be room in your day for some whimsy. Enjoy! :)

Nadai

The reason why I listed those other creatures alongside the unicorn is that the vast majority of media surrounding unicorns is gentle, beneficial, magical, and positive. Unicorns are bright and pure symbols of pride and strength. When unicorns are hunted, it's an unforgivable crime, at worst a sin.

But you will get stories of monsters that eat people alive, fairies that steal children sleeping from their beds and chupacabras that suck herds dry. They're horrible and often frightening. But these creatures have everything in common with unicorns in that they spring from mythology and folklore, have never been seen conclusively, and are regularly depicted in art and literature. Rarely do you get a story of someone gored to death by a unicorn's horn or trampled by one.

So I ask where the difference lies in believing in unicorns against all these other nightmarish creatures. I think it selective because unicorns are "safe" and benign, whereas to believe in child-killing fairies and man-eating rocs would be judged in a harsher light.
I agree. I think that people cling more to unicorns because, as you said, they are positive. Like most religions and myths people want to believe in something that will make them happy and give them hope and help them to see beauty and love and magic and maybe even a bit of retribution in a world where there doesn't seem to be any; people like to dream happy dreams and have sweet magical fantasies, it's a sickness.;) But I think the unicorn is solely a myth. Aside from the link I attatched above I don't think anyone ever sees horned and winged horses prancing around in the woods, but we constantly hear of alien sightings or people who've had livestock eaten by chupacabras or big foot-sized footprints, or hear of people who saw the Jersey devil. Maybe it's just a case of mass hysteria or maybe, as I said, some myths are based on facts.