Did you fear them?

NothingToFear

When you were growing up, were you ever exposed to the local urban legends? If they were frequently told around you, did you fear them, or did you generally just take no notice of them?

Quentin Woolery

We had my younger cousin scared to death of the "Mirror Man". We told her he would come out while she slept and grab her and take her to mirrorland and she would never get back. We were cruel but then we were 10.

RLynn

My grandparent's house was kind of drafty, and sometimes the swinging door between the kitchen and dining room would swing a little for no apparent reason. If I asked why, my grandmother would say that it's the Dyhanger (whatever that is). I wasn't positive that she was serious, but I played along as if I believed her.

greekgoddess31

I remember when I was a kid we were so positive that we could not eat pop rocks and drink coke at the same time because it would explode in your stomach.

Goddess2u

I was never really afraid of any of them I had an older sister that always made sure I knew it wasn't true. She told me when I was three that Santa wasn't real so you can imagine. She was a good sister though and always made sure to look out for me.

Ladyhawk

I don't know if this is a real urban legend but I believed that if you ate a watermelon seed that one would grow in your stomach. I was very careful around watermelons ever since. I am also very very scared of the whole Bloody Mary myth that she would show up in the mirrow of a dark room. I could never do it because I was and still am very sure that she would pop up and scare me to death.

Olsen

When I was a child, there were rumors of "the undead" in my grandparents' village. Whenever we visited them at the countryside, grandma and grandpa used to tell us about how a distant relative of ours was accidentally murdered by his son-in-law and then he became an undead human (a sort of a zombie, but with ghostly abilities) and began haunting his family, looking for revenge. I don't know whether there was any truth to that legend, but many villagers were frightened by it and several people claimed they saw the ghostly figure wandering through the streets at night. Of course, as a child, I was terrified of this story...

Nadai

I don't know if this is a real urban legend but I believed that if you ate a watermelon seed that one would grow in your stomach. I was very careful around watermelons ever since. I am also very very scared of the whole Bloody Mary myth that she would show up in the mirrow of a dark room. I could never do it because I was and still am very sure that she would pop up and scare me to death.
I have three older sisters and when we were young they loved to tell me that story over and over. They would tell me that even if I thought her name while standing near a dark mirror that she would hear and come and get me. My sisters loved to terrify me with this myth in particular. To this day I still look away from the mirror when I turn off the lights at night.
They also told me about swallowing seeds. One day I ate a popcorn seed and one of my sisters told me that if I got too hot the seed would cook and popcorn would explode out of me.

magickz

I do not even turn the light on when I am using the bathroom in the middle of the night, we have a night light and that is good for me. My family did the same but I do think the older cousins were always a little more tough on the younger ones that the siblings were!

cherub

I can't think of one in particular, but I believed everything anyone ever told me. I have to have my feet covered in bed, even in summer because I'm still afraid being grabbed (like a sheet will save me!). I am almost 40 and have a night light in the bathroom.

Nadai

I can't think of one in particular, but I believed everything anyone ever told me. I have to have my feet covered in bed, even in summer because I'm still afraid being grabbed (like a sheet will save me!). I am almost 40 and have a night light in the bathroom.
I do the same. No matter how hot it is I have to be covered up at night! I think because I was the youngest my sisters just knew that they could tell me anything and I would run with it. If I think of all the crazy things I've heard from them it makes me wonder how I ever got through childhood.

Calliope

Ooh, the Bloody Mary myth. I remember the kids talking about that when I was in elementary school. I was so afraid of saying it (three times) and looking in a mirror. :)

Katie

Ooh, the Bloody Mary myth. I remember the kids talking about that when I was in elementary school. I was so afraid of saying it (three times) and looking in a mirror. :)
Oh my gosh. This!! I went to a friend's house for a sleepover with a bunch of friends when I was younger and we were freaked out because of a mirror facing us that we had to turn it around. It also took me a while before I could stand in front of a mirror while holding a candle. You never know what will show itself. Eek.