Devil's tramping ground

Toni

Have you ever heard of the devil's tramping gound? I grew up close to this place and it is quite unique in that nothing ever grows in this 40 ft. circle out in the middle of the woods.

Myrddin

I have not heard of it. You've got me interested now... Could you tell more about it? Where this is, it's history?

magickz

From what I remember its somewhere in NC, but I have never been myself. I know some people randomly call any place that has "evil" or a "disturbance" by the same name.

RLynn

Seems like it's somewhere near Pittsboro NC, I think. I looked around there once, about 40 years ago, but didn't see anything too extraordinary. Maybe I didn't go far enough into the woods. The Brown Mountain Lights is another NC curiosity. I once camped out on a neighboring mountain with a good view of Brown Mtn. I saw some weird lights moving around over there. Very mysterious. Most would-be rational explanations are absurd. Swamp gas? There ain't no swamps around there. Brown Mtn. is dry as a bone.

Toni

The Devil's tramping ground is near Pittsboro, NC. Old stomping grounds for me. It's a 40 ft circle out in the woods where nothing will grow. All kinds of tests have been done to find out why and no reasonable explanation can be found. All they know is that the soil is completely sterile in that circle and no one knows why. Legend has it that the devil comes out at night and tramps around the circle making it impossible to grow anything there. Supposedly, teenagers have camped on the circle and when they wake up in the morning they find themselves and their entire camp site moved off the circle. It makes for some good ghost stories.
RLynn, you are correct about the Brown Mountain Lights. There "ain't" no swamps here. Another eerie phenomenon.

Myrddin

It'll be interesting to know what's actually behind these things. Both the sterile soil and the weird lights. Curiouser and curiouser. Hmm... :(