Definitive or comprehensive grimm's?

As much as I love folktales, I oddly and surprisingly enough, have not yet read Grimm's Fairytales.

One reason is perhaps that I am unsure of which copy to read. I know that their tales have been excised numerous times, such that, though still dark, they are practically sanctified versions of their unexpurgated original forms.

I do own one edition in physical form (B&N Leatherbound Classics Series; ISBN: 9781435114890) and a digital copy (B&N Classics, ISBN: 9781593080563) on my nook. I have looked on Amazon, but cannot seem to find any sort of definitive edition, or a "Complete Edition" that I'd really trust to be complete.

Thoughts? Is one copy just as good as the next, or do you know of one to recommend?

Thank you very much for your patience in reading. :)

Nadai

I've just recent;y gotten into the Grimm works...like as just a few weeks ago. I've been told here on the forum that Jack Zipes compilation is the best. I went searching for it and the best I came up with was The Grimm Fairytales by the Grimm Brothers. There aren't as many as there are in Zipes' version, but they're still pretty good, though I haven't anything to compare them to:rolleyes:

I'll see if I can't look into Zipes' version—thanks a lot! :D

I love the introductions and supplementary material B&N classics, so when I found that it was included on a bonus microSD card with my Nook, I was thrilled. Nevertheless, I did want a sturdy authoritative text for the bulk of the book.

Nadai

I'll see if I can't look into Zipes' version—thanks a lot! :D

I love the introductions and supplementary material B&N classics, so when I found that it was included on a bonus microSD card with my Nook, I was thrilled. Nevertheless, I did want a sturdy authoritative text for the bulk of the book.
The Grimm collection I have came from the Kindle store, but the Jack Zipes version can be found on Amazon.com for a good price.

Myrddin

Yes, the Jack Zipes version contains somewhere around about 250 tales. Some omitted, some just by Jacob, some just by Wilhelm, etc. It says right in the table of contents which stories are what by subject headings. It's the version I own (you'll know it by its lavendar cover colour scheme).

Yes, indeed. I looked at its table of contents, and it does seem quite comprehensive, with some even taken from letters and correspondence. I'll be ordering that in the very near future.

Enertia

I do not have an e-reader, so I would like to get an actual book of Grimm's Fairy tales. I have heard a little about "Grimm's Grimmiest", does anyone know if that collection is a good read? I figure, with as long as these tales have been around, it is going to be hard to get an actual representation of the tales.

I do not have an e-reader, so I would like to get an actual book of Grimm's Fairy tales. I have heard a little about "Grimm's Grimmiest", does anyone know if that collection is a good read? I figure, with as long as these tales have been around, it is going to be hard to get an actual representation of the tales.
Well, it really all depends on what you're looking for. "Grimm's Grimmest" (there seem to be a few titles similar to this, and I'm not sure if their contents are the same or not) appears to be a collection of the most morbid of Grimm's fairy tales. Looking on Amazon, it only has 180 pages, whilst Zipes' edition has 800. If you are not wanting the complete Grimm's, but rather most of them, the Barnes & Noble Classics series has it in paperback (with a nice introduction and supplementary materials) or in their Leatherbound Classics without any of the supplementary material.

http://www.amazon.com/Grimms-Grimmest-Wilhelm-Grimm/dp/B000JBY0FQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319638569&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fairy-Tales-Brothers-All-New/dp/0553382160/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319638602&sr=8-1

Enertia

Thank you, I think I prefer a book with more pages, so I like your suggestions. I would rather read all of Grimm's Tales, instead of a few hand picked ones. Then you can better understand an author.

jerri

I'd be really interested to hear some of the more disturbing elements that have been changed. I know the witch's house in Hansel and Gretel was actually made of bones but I'm sure there's many more examples. Please share!

Myrddin

I'd be really interested to hear some of the more disturbing elements that have been changed. I know the witch's house in Hansel and Gretel was actually made of bones but I'm sure there's many more examples. Please share!
Have you ever read any of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales? The Little Mermaid ends quite differently than it does in, say, Disney's version. His original is much grimmer.

Have you ever read any of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales? The Little Mermaid ends quite differently than it does in, say, Disney's version. His original is much grimmer.
Andersen actually has quite a number of somber fairy tales. One sticks out in my mind that's about a mother trying to save her child, and she ends up sacrificing her hair, eyes, and ultimately her life. I can't remember what it was called, but it was quite sad.

I really like Andersen. I guess he was something of a snivelling and slightly despicable character, but he did write some very touching and charming tales.

Nadai

Andersen actually has quite a number of somber fairy tales. One sticks out in my mind that's about a mother trying to save her child, and she ends up sacrificing her hair, eyes, and ultimately her life. I can't remember what it was called, but it was quite sad.

I really like Andersen. I guess he was something of a snivelling and slightly despicable character, but he did write some very touching and charming tales.

That sounds like a story that I read to my kids last night out of my Grimm collection The Faithful John. In order to save his king he sacrificed first himself, first his feet to knees were turned to stone, then knees to chest, then chest to head. Eventually he was turned back to human when the king sacrificed his two sons; he cut off their heads and sprinkled John's statue with their blood and he was restored then restored the children to life as well.

That sounds like a story that I read to my kids last night out of my Grimm collection The Faithful John. In order to save his king he sacrificed first himself, first his feet to knees were turned to stone, then knees to chest, then chest to head. Eventually he was turned back to human when the king sacrificed his two sons; he cut off their heads and sprinkled John's statue with their blood and he was restored then restored the children to life as well.
Ah, yes, the gradually turning to stone motif; that one shows up every once in a while.

I wish I could remember the specifics, as I'm having trouble distinguishing it from the ones where the princes go to a palace and are turned to stone because of some business about a bird. :confused: I'm really going to have to give my Italian and French Pantheons a reread!

Nadai

Ah, yes, the gradually turning to stone motif; that one shows up every once in a while.

I wish I could remember the specifics, as I'm having trouble distinguishing it from the ones where the princes go to a palace and are turned to stone because of some business about a bird. :confused: I'm really going to have to give my Italian and French Pantheons a reread!

Yes, Faith John learned that the king would be killed from three crows that were flying above their ship while they were out at sea.