Define mythology

magickz

Now think about what the answer is for a bit and then think about why we never hear the words "Mythology" and "the Bible". Puzzled yet? Yea, me too. ;)

Myrddin

Well, mythology is a group of stories which are told to explain something, quite often creation. They stem from our need for understanding and trying to figure out the world around us, though there is no factual background. However, they still define the worlds cultures for what they are today, and we can continue to learn from them. We hear about them sometimes in History, though not a lot, I guess because they do not contain any actual historical facts. And, well I hate to say this, the same thing goes with the Bible. Well it provides understanding and great insight, the stories don't come from historical fact. It is about faith and belief.

RLynn

It is taboo to associate mythology and the Bible because people think that "myth" and "lie" are synonymous. The concept of metaphor has almost completely evaporated from the consciousness of most people. A tale can be a historical fabrication and yet convey metaphorical truth. By insisting on the literal truth of every story in the Bible, people are evading the sometimes disturbing implications of such stories.

Goddess2u

I do not believe that considering the bible to be associated with mythology is wrong. First unless you can get your hands on the actual manuscripts of the Bible then how can you be sure it is interepreted correctly. Just like there are many versions of myths there are also many versions of the Bible.

RLynn

I do not believe that considering the bible to be associated with mythology is wrong. First unless you can get your hands on the actual manuscripts of the Bible then how can you be sure it is interepreted correctly. Just like there are many versions of myths there are also many versions of the Bible.
That's correct. Actually, the "original" manuscripts do not even exist. There are only fragmentary Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek manuscripts, copies of copies of copies, which have been pieced together to produce what is called the Bible.

By the way, the evangelical Christian writer C. S. Lewis considered the Holy Scriptures to be mythological as well as inspired by God.

magickz

Great example.

Another example is the screen shot attached. So why is it so taboo to put both of these words together, who says? I am not trying to jinx myself or anything, but I do find it highly concerning that most who ridicule those of other beliefs (those mainly who's only focus is bible related) are the same ones telling me that I am going to hell for some blasphemous mumbo jumbo. Why doesn't the bible fall into this category if we have to get this technical about our beliefs?

Attachments