Crows

Diana

My mom always told me about this limerick for crows.

One Crow sorrow
Two Crows Joy
Three Crows a Wedding
Four Crows a Boy
Five Crows Silver
Six Crows Gold
Seven Crows a Secret, never to be told

Anyone else hear this? Also, if she sees one crow, she makes sure she isn't the only one to see it.

Olsen

I've never heard about this. It sounds rather silly to me, but I suppose everyone is entitled to choose their own superstitions... Does the limerick go further, or is it that after eight crows nothing happens?

Diana

After doing some further research I found the rest of the poem. I guess that was as much as my mom knew, she never told me any more that that.

Eight for a wish, nine for a kiss;
Ten for a bird that's best to miss.

LegendofJoe

Crows are cool.
In Ireland I saw so many. Farmers mark their winter stores with a big white X to keep the crows away.
To the Celts the crow was associated with war, and the goddess of war, The Morrigan, sometimes took the form of
a crow. Being carrion birds, this is not surprising.
In the legend of Cuchulainn, it was only when the crow landed on his shoulder that his
enemies knew he was dead and that he can be approached. Even then, when he was decapitated,
his arm came down and cut the hand off of the man who decapitated him.

Diana

Crows tend to be very mysterious. They are black so the association there is always presumed evil or dark. Also some evil spirits have been known through stories to have taken a crow's form as well.

Myrddin

I would not be surprised. Their association with the dead and death is so strong, that we even call a group of them a murder.

Isis

I would not be surprised. Their association with the dead and death is so strong, that we even call a group of them a murder.
That's my favorite name for a grouping of animals ;) I agree with Diana that crows are associated with darkness and death because of their color, just like doves are associated with peace, love, and goodness because of their color.

Myrddin

Crows tend to be very mysterious. They are black so the association there is always presumed evil or dark.
Ravens are like that too. Not quite so much as crows, but they are also definitely associated with death. No doubt their rise in popularity stemmed from Edgar Allan Poe's poem, The Raven.

Ronnie

Doves are horrible birds. Everyone thinks they are pretty and coo so nicely. Let me tell you, I had two white doves and they were the hardest birds I have ever dealt with. They pecked, they flew away in the house every chance they got and I could never tame them. On the other hand, a local man had a crow in his store and he had taught him tricks. A very clever little bird!