Controlling dreams?

when you are dreaming, do you remember controlling or dictating what will happen to it? how can I explain it, hmm, for example:

You were being chased by monsters or a certain person or an unseen force. You're paranoid and ran wildly, looking for a way to be safe when suddenly, you've reached a dead-end. You looked anywhere but there's no way for you to go. In your mind there's this eagerness to survive and you thought "I have to escape!" and then suddenly, the dead-end wall will disappear.

another example is, you are in a fight but you have no weapons. you just thought you need to win and then suddenly you could see yourself holding a sword, gun or any weapon.

does this signify a thing? of does it say that anything is possible in dreams, no explanation at all?

Caburus

It sounds like dream control;
http://www.dreamviews.com/content/dream-control-23/
If you can control it, anythings possible.
I sometimes have lucid dreams (where I know I am dreaming), but have not been able to direct the action of those dreams. Normally I'm overwhelmed with a sense of panic because I know I'm dreaming, but also know that something really, really bad is going to happen in my dream, which then involves me in a massive effort of will to wake my body up before it occurs.

Myrddin

I've had dreams where I realize I'm draming. It's usually at the edge of sleep, right before I wake up. Sometimes, though less often, when that happens, I wake up in my dream, before I actually wake up (and in that moment, it feels real again).

RLynn

¶ Lucid dreaming can be fun. It doesn't happen to me very often. If it's a fun dream, like flying, I try to stay asleep and enjoy it. If it's a bad dream I usually just try to wake up.
¶ I am reminded of the famous Butterfly Dream of the Taoist philosopher Chuang Tzu. He had a dream that he was a butterfly. When he woke up, he didn't know whether he was Chuang Tzu, who had dreamed that he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming that he was Chuang Tzu. :confused:

woooh, the dream control thing is fascinating.
I do have dreams wherein, somehow, I could control what will happen next.
¶ I am reminded of the famous Butterfly Dream of the Taoist philosopher Chuang Tzu. He had a dream that he was a butterfly. When he woke up, he didn't know whether he was Chuang Tzu, who had dreamed that he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming that he was Chuang Tzu. :confused:
yep, sometimes the dreams are so real!

do you also experience continuing dreams? for example, you're dreaming that you are in a party and in this party you saw a famous person, you decided to go meet her/him and then suddenly you wake up. when you sleep again, in your dream, you go to that famous person and talk to him/her.

RLynn

I sometimes have continuing dreams and also repeating dreams (with each occurrence having slight variations). Often they involve hiking in a mountainous wilderness, which I frequently did in real life.

Nadai

The only part of my dream I can ever control is when I wake up. I always know when I'm dreaming, no matter what kind of dream it is. If I'm having a particularly unpleasant dream I'll just tell myself to wake up and immediately I'm awake; it isn't always comfortable (it gives me a bit of a headache to wake up so suddenly) but it beats having to try and escape from, say a guy weilding an ax, when I'm running in slow motion:rolleyes:

Myrddin

...I'll just tell myself to wake up and immediately I'm awake; it isn't always comfortable (it gives me a bit of a headache to wake up so suddenly) but it beats having to try and escape from, say a guy weilding an ax, when I'm running in slow motion:rolleyes:
Ugh, that's an unpleasant dream. I would definitely, if I could (but sadly can't), force myself awake from that kind of dream; damn the consequences.:)