Confusion regarding frigg and freya

Skeptic sister

I can't lay my hands on the book I read about it in, but the links below speak to it...

http://theosophytrust.org/tlodocs/articlesSymbol.php?d=FriggAndFreya-0688.htm&p=34

QUOTE:
One explanation for the confusion of Frigg with Freya is that the latter was identical with the former amongst the Germans but a separate divinity in Scandinavia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja

QUOTE: ....Freyja and the goddess Frigg ultimately stem from a single goddess common among the Germanic peoples

I can't recall the name of the book, durn it, but I do recall reading about the history and evolution of the Norse deities, and the 'branching' of a single goddess into 2.

I only really managed to quickly read through this...and it appears to be very interesting, hopefully I shall get chance to study it properly later this week. If you remember the name of the book, id be really interested in seeing it =D Im pretty new to Norse Mythology, but i get the general just of it. As far as the Germanic beliefs go, i have no idea. I guess, from my understanding, that all religions, myths and even science for that matter, tell the same story, just spoken with differnet words, so i can see them being both two divinities, and one at the same time. I really wish i knew more about this, i shall definately give it a look =D

Skeptic sister

I believe that one of the first books on Norse myth that I read (understand, that's more than 30 yrs ago now) was German in it's origin.

There's a lot of parallels in the worlds' myths, sometimes the only thing that's different is the names used in the tale!

I totally agree! Although I though Norse myths had an Icelandic origin. To my knowledge, Snorri Sturluson wrote some of the myths, i think?

LegendofJoe

I believe Snorri acted as an antiquarian when he wrote his Edda. He tried to stick to the stories that were still around. So I don't think he made up any in his Edda.
However, some believe that in the other Edda, the Poetic Edda, he may have contributed a story that he made up, since it does not appear in his book.
This is the story of how Thor lost his hammer, which was stolen by the giant Thrym. It is very humorous and it tells how Thor had to dress as a bride in order to get his hammer back.

I love that story =) Yeah, I've only really read a book based around the Poetic Edda so I dont know about the other stuff involved.

LegendofJoe

I love that story =) Yeah, I've only really read a book based around the Poetic Edda so I dont know about the other stuff involved.
There is a series on the History channel called Clash of the Gods. In one episode they talked about Thor for one hour. I thought I died and went to Valhalla!!!!
The documentary featured actors, and in one retelling, the actor playing Thor is dressed as a bride. It was hilarious.
The series is available on DVD.

I'll definatly have to check it out =) I dont think i have the history channel on my TV anymore, but ill have a look for the DVD.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film