Cockroach eggs on envelope seals

greekgoddess31

As I was licking my letter and getting ready to mail it today, I started thinking about this old urban legend about cockroach eggs being in the glue on the seals of envelopes. Does anyone remember this one? Did it keep you from licking any envelopes?

Katie

Oh I remember that. Until now I would never use my tongue to seal envelopes. I would run to the sink and dab water onto the envelop. It still worries me since it actually makes a lot of sense :/

LegendofJoe

They had a dramatization of this on that show called Urban Legends. It was really gross!!!
It might be on youtube. According to the show, it did not really happen.

Bobby Givens

I remember that, but I try not to lick any envelopes if I can help it just because they taste awful. I buy the ones that are self-adhesive. That story does have the gross out factor though. I mean could you imagine finding out you had cockroaches growing in your tongue? Gross!

Olsen

This is the first time I've ever heard about this urban legend, and - to be honest - I find it completely ridiculous. Cockroach eggs are the size of apple seeds, and there's no way they wouldn't be noticed on envelopes. Maybe if they were pounded and intentionally mixed with the glue,... but who would want to do something like that and whatever for...? :confused:

Nadai

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/roacheggs.html

My mother gave me this story. She came over one day with one of those envelope rollers that you can use to avoid having to lick it yourself. I told her I didn't need on and she told me this story. Apparently it really happened. I myself still lick envelopes and I have yet to encounter this problem.

Calliope

Ew, I had never heard of this before, but I always get the self-adhesive kind. This legend reminds me of Seinfeld, I forgot who was getting married but ended up dying from licking an envelope.

Myrddin

Gross, gross, gross! Even though it is only an urban legend, I will never lick an envelope again. Just the idea grosses me out, and makes me wary.

magickz

I can not think of anyone that actually even licks envelops anymore, maybe its because of this tale? Myself I seldom send anything out but when I do I use a sponge with some extra tape if it does not seal proper. Ew is right!