Climate change

jerri

Some people are referring to climate change as a myth. I think whether you believe it will be the end of us or not I'm not sure I'd call it a myth-maybe an urban legend. ;)
I believe it exists but I don't believe it's going to do any damage in anyone's life who is currently alive. I trust future generations to figure it out.

RLynn

Some people are referring to climate change as a myth. I think whether you believe it will be the end of us or not I'm not sure I'd call it a myth-maybe an urban legend. ;)
I believe it exists but I don't believe it's going to do any damage in anyone's life who is currently alive. I trust future generations to figure it out.
I wouldn't elevate it to the category of myth, and it's certainly not an urban legend. It's just a simple fact (with complicated consequences). The temperature change itself may not bother us directly, but I worry about the melting of the polar ice caps.
Warning: rant. I do so wish that the term 'myth' had not become a synonym for 'lie'. I suppose it's part of the price one must pay for English being a natural language whose meanings are determined by common usage. Here is Joseph Campbell's definition: "A whole mythology is an organization of symbolic images and narratives, metaphorical of the possibilites of human experience and the fulfillment of a given culture at a given time."

fibi ducks

this report says some are already effected, but see what you think -

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/disappearing-world-global-warming-claims-tropical-island-429764.html

Sometimes I wonder if we are just seeing a cycle that happens over millennia instead of over hundreds of years. I'm sure the Earth has gone through changes before and will again. I'm just not sure it will be changes we can survive with. But then the dinosaurs didn't survive the last big change.

greekgoddess31

Wise Old Owl, it is true the Earth has gone through many freezes and thaws and general climate changes over it's lifespan. It is just the natural order of things. I don't think anything we do has that much impact negatively or positively.

RLynn

Wise Old Owl, it is true the Earth has gone through many freezes and thaws and general climate changes over it's lifespan. It is just the natural order of things. I don't think anything we do has that much impact negatively or positively.
There is a lot of merit in the notion of natural cyclic climatic changes. However, while science can be mistaken, it does not usually deliberately lie. That is, I think there is sufficient evidence to suspect that we may be helping to accelerate an otherwise natural warming trend. Just my 2¢. :)

Oh, I don't doubt it at all. We don't live in harmony with the Earth now. We take and take and never give back to Mother Earth. Eventually she is going to be exhausted and not be able to renew herself.

OracleLady

You folks have made interesting points. I do believe in climate change. If the only evidence we had were the number of hurricanes stirred up in the past two decades, the increase in their number would be proof enough for me. I know this comes across as a simplistic view, but we are experiencing more dramatic storms. I've not done the research, so it's just a feeling.

Athena

I don't believe that climate change qualifies as a myth. It's based in science although I don't think it's scientifically proven either. The earth does go through unimaginably long cycles. Having said that, the depletion of the ozone layer raises concerns for me.

JanetW

Climate change is not a myth in my opinion. I have to agree with RLynn that I wish people wouldn't use the word 'myth' and 'lie' as the same. It gets on my nerves too! Climate change has been happening for the entire life of the planet over and over again. Every so often the earth wobbles on its axis just a tiny bit and then we get ices ages or other changes. Whether we are responsible for adding to that change I'm not sure, but it does look like it.