Clarent or the exculiber

Amir

From each story i read or each video/movie the sword that the young Arthur pull out of the stone and become a king is the greatest magical sword the Exculiber.
-------------------------------------
but when i learned about king arthur items.
i read he pulled sword called Clarent who turned him to king of britania.
and he used a sword named Caliburn who break down at battle then Merlin took him to Avalon lake
and there the Lady of the lake turned out a sword (that himan hand holding bringing the sword out of the water) who looks exacly the same as Caliburn. this sword was the Exculiber.
----------------------------------------
if i'm right but havn't told enough datails or if i'm totaly wrong i would like to hear ur opnions

Amir

From each story i read or each video/movie the sword that the young Arthur pull out of the stone and become a king is the greatest magical sword the Exculiber.
and he used a sword named Caliburn who break down at battle then Merlin took him to Avalon lake
and there the Lady of the lake turned out a sword (that himan hand holding bringing the sword out of the water) who looks exacly the same as Caliburn. this sword was the Exculiber.
if i'm right but havn't told enough datails or if i'm totaly wrong i would like to hear ur opinions

RLynn

if i'm right but havn't told enough datails or if i'm totaly wrong i would like to hear ur opnions
I think that Clarent, Caliburn, and Excalibur were variants of the same word. The tales were originally within the province of the troubadors, orally transmitted. Later they became text, and thereby addditional variants were introduced. The languages were not static either. Just my 2¢.

Myrddin

The story I know, and as it is told in Le Morte D'Arthur, is Arthur pulls a sword from the stone to prove himself as the heir to the throne, and later, after he breaks that sword, the sorceror Merlin leads him to the Lake of Avalon where Arthur is presented with another, better, sword which is Excalibur. Though he is told that the scabbard is worth much more than the sword, Arthur still values the sword more.

RLynn

I'm trying to think if the original sword in the stone had a name. I have Mallory around here somewhere. Maybe I'll look it up.

RLynn

An early Welsh source says that the sword in the stone was named Caledfwlch, but Excalibur is thought to be derived from that. It was probably hard to Latinize Welsh accurately. :confused:

Myrddin

I looked through the beginning chapter of Le Morte D'Arthur last eve, and the sword in the stone was never mentioned by name in that. It was just the sword.

Caledfwlch and Excalibur are the same sword; Caledfwlch is just the older name, and Excalibur more modern.

The Bane-less

According to the old Welsh poem, Arthur had three weapons;
"The sacred weapons that God had given him:
Rhongomiant his spear,
Caledfwlch a sword,
and Carnwennan his dagger."