Christianity belongs here

Jim

I have a really good book called "The Encyclopedia of Ancient Myths and Culture" and it doesn't include the Christian myth either. Are we in denial or is it that historical fear that we could still be burned at the stake for mentioning the truth in front of the unwashed masses?

Foxfairy

I think mythology implies inactive religions, although some Pagans might disagree with this idea. Still I know what you are saying the Bible is loaded with great stories, that are taken far too literal. However, I get Christianity pushed down my throat everyday and am not sure I would want to have to deal with a discussion of it here as well.

Jonny Capps

Christianity isn't considered to be mythology, since it is still actively followed and believed by over 45% of the world's population, a larger percentage than any other organized religion. To be relegated to "myth" status, the tale has to have been dismissed as ancient folklore, based on superstitious nonsense, a faulty explanation for a natural occurrence, or something that no valid percentage of the global population believes any longer. Christianity is not mythology, it's religion.

Nadai

Myths are traditional and cultural stories meant to explain existence. Christianity isn't regarded as a myth because it is considered to be true; it is practiced as a religion. Christians consider the stories of the Bible to be real and read them as though they actually happened or will happen.

Isabelle

I agree with Jonny but I can see where you are coming from Jim because at one time people truly believed in Roman gods and goddesses and the stories about them and it was practiced as a religion.

Plus, if you thought pagan lore was extensive, take a look at just Roman Catholicism; there is a massive expanse of Christian lore, not even counting folklore not found in the canon. I don't know if you were not finding a concise enough books on Christian symbolism and practices, Jim, but I know it would be rough trying to fit ALL of it in one volume.
Plus, don't you think putting Christianity in an Encyclopedia of Ancient Beliefs and Cultures would be counterproductive to your cause?

It's the same reason why Bibles are in a section of their own, neither fiction nor non-fiction, because customers would wig out either way.

Artemis

Folklores and myths preceded the Christian religion so it can't be as ancient as them. Some say that those ancient myths and cultures evolved into Christianity, and maybe they are right.

Thoth

I have a really good book called "The Encyclopedia of Ancient Myths and Culture" and it doesn't include the Christian myth either. Are we in denial or is it that historical fear that we could still be burned at the stake for mentioning the truth in front of the unwashed masses?
in my opinion all the modern religions IS a myth

Jim

Sorry it has taken so long to respond, I thought I would get email notifications when anyone replied to my posts, but not yet.

Jonny, for the record, the world population of Christians is 33% not 45%. That's a big difference. And that includes sects that even other Christians deny. Personally, I would include Islam and Judaism in that percentage considering they are all centered around the same myths just worded differently. http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

BTW did you know that if you are a Christian, there is almost a 50% chance that you have a relative in your past who was tortured or killed so that your other relatives would see the light. Personally, I think if you include both North and South America that percentage is low.

As far as Mythology and the Bible are concerned, not counting actual history, there is (so far) not a single story in the bible that cannot be traced to other older religions. What Christians consider Mythology.

FreyjaLilith

Just because a religion is still practiced doesn't mean it can't be considered a mythology. I said it in a previous post, but the word "myth" derives from a Greek word that means "Speech with God(s)". The word is used incorrectly, pretty much. Mythology is a study of religions when it comes down to it, so Christianity is indeed included in that rather some may wish to deny it or not.

As far as Mythology and the Bible are concerned, not counting actual history, there is (so far) not a single story in the bible that cannot be traced to other older religions. What Christians consider Mythology.
Not true. Have you heard of the historical Jesus? Historical Moses? Historical Noah? There's very convincing facts that prove that they may have existed. (There's even a book out there saying Jesus was just a politician and faked his own death. Because who wouldn't believe the words of someone who died, and came back to life?) True, some things may have been exagerated to make the situations seem more miraculous (their ages for one) but that doesn't mean it couldn't have happened.

Also, Noah's Ark seems to be a direct copy of a man Gilgamesh encounters to be able to gain immortality. He basically builds a ship and brings his family aboard (only he knew about the flood that occurs). They are then spared from drowning like everyone else (everyone was meant to die, but a god told the man ahead of time what was going to happen) and so him and his family gain immortality.

Also how about..dragons for instance? St. Michael and St. Margaret led angels to kill dragons. Dragons seems to be in almost every culture in some form or another. Maybe this is what led to the extinction of dragons, if they did exist. (I personally believe they did. If creatures like dinosaurs can exist, then why not?)

Sometimes I think people attack Christianity way too much, yes it is a young religion but it also stems from Judaism and Muslim as you said.