Childhood favorites

Nadai

I was having a discussion with my sister about tv shows that are popular today, mostly kid shows. We were talking about how ironic it was that our parents used to complain about the things that we watched and listened to when we were kids and now we find ourselves mirroring our parents' opinions. A lot of shows on tv now, I can't stand, I think they're just awful.

Do you guys agree that today's entertainment (music, television, movies) don't compare to how they were when you were a kid, no matter the generation. What were some of your favorites? What do you wish was still around to share with your own kids, or today's generation?

Myrddin

A lot of shows on tv now, I can't stand, I think they're just awful.
You mean like Toddlers in Tiaras? Here Comes Honey Boo Boo? Ugh and double ugh.

I was having a discussion with my sister about tv shows that are popular today, mostly kid shows. We were talking about how ironic it was that our parents used to complain about the things that we watched and listened to when we were kids and now we find ourselves mirroring our parents' opinions. A lot of shows on tv now, I can't stand, I think they're just awful.

Do you guys agree that today's entertainment (music, television, movies) don't compare to how they were when you were a kid, no matter the decade. What were some of your favorites? What do you wish was still around to share with your own kids, or today's generation?
I loved The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show when I was a kid. Yet now, I see it as a bad show, endorsing violence by showing it to be funny (i.e. Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny and Yosimite Sam, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, etc.). It's ironic how we change sometimes.

I liked The Magic School Bus and Arthur (the aardvark) as a child, definitely much better shows. Nothing wrong with them, so far as I can say. :) As far as children's shows go, they don't seem to have changed too much. They are as educational and/or silly as they always were. It's more in the rise of reality shows that has caused a change. They have become stupid and horrible, and seemingly brain melting. Other better shows seem to be cancelled because the populatoins majority can't seem to wrap their heads around them (i.e. Awake {cancelled because it was "too hard to understand"} How?!? I ask). It was a good show. Ugh.

I watched Scream this Saturday night past, and found it hardly scary at all. Yet back in 1996 when it was new, it was quite scary, or so it was reported. There's a big change. We seem to becoming harder and harder to scare. Or I am. I've been desensitized! :( I need something really, really scary, yet I seem to becoming harder to impress in the horror genre. They just aren't scaring me anymore. :(

E. M.

Nadai

You mean like Toddlers in Tiaras? Here Comes Honey Boo Boo? Ugh and double ugh.
E. M.
I saw a preview on television for Honey Boo Boo, but it was like a smell thing. The commercial was talking about the many smells of Honey Boo Boo and her family then it showed them being disgusting and offered a card that a person could purchase that was like a scratch-and-sniff type deal. It made me wonder what kind of society we live where people would be tempted to spend money on something so disgusting... It's sad really.

I loved The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show when I was a kid. Yet now, I see it as a bad show, endorsing violence by showing it to be funny (i.e. Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny and Yosimite Sam, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, etc.). It's ironic how we change sometimes.
E. M.
I've noticed that too. There were a lot of things I watched and listened to as a kid that were seemingly innocent but really just terrible. Back then, though I don't think it was such a big deal. I mean I never paid attention to the violence or suggestive behavior as a kid. And cartoons haven't changed that much in that respect. There are still cartoons with violence and suggestive behavior. There are cartoons like Adventure Time. I watched that once with my kids and was so upset that something like that would air on Cartoon Network rather than on Adultswim or even Comedy Central. A few years ago a show called Symbionic-Titan aired on Cartoon Network and it had some really crude scenes. Like a girl shaking her butt in really tight jeans to rap music. Parents got so heated that they complained non-stop until the show was removed. Now it airs on Cartoon Network's Adultswim. Adventure Time is so much worse, but five years later, it's not such a big deal as it would have been then, I guess.

I liked The Magic School Bus and Arthur (the aardvark) as a child, definitely much better shows. Nothing wrong with them, so far as I can say. :) As far as children's shows go, they don't seem to have changed too much. They are as educational and/or silly as they always were. It's more in the rise of reality shows that has caused a change. They have become stupid and horrible, and seemingly brain melting. Other better shows seem to be cancelled because the populatoins majority can't seem to wrap their heads around them (i.e. Awake {cancelled because it was "too hard to understand"} How?!? I ask). It was a good show. Ugh.
E. M.
Those were good shows. I still watch Arthur with my kids; it is fun to watch shows with my kids that I used to love as a kid. There are other shows around now that come on preschool channels, but those are really the only ones I really trust. Though my kids will also watch other shows like The Justice League Unlimited or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and other shows like it. Those are a bit violent, but that's expected. I don't mind the good vs. evil type battles.
I do hate that there is so much reality television on tv. I used to like...what was the show... Road Rules or World Wars... Something like that, but it's just kind of been taken too far. Last night I watched a show called Fat Cops. It was actually my fist time since I was a kid and watched...whatever that show was called...that I'd actually sat and watched a reality show. It was embarrassing to see police officers portrayed in such a way. I don't know how realistic reality shows are, but that one didn't leave me with a good feeling. My sister (she is an actress) told me about a casting that was held for the new reality show Amish-something... She told me that the casting was full of just regular actors (obviously) not real Amish people. But it seems really mean and unfair to create such a fictitious image of an entire group of people like housewives or Amish people or police officers or even "hillbillies". I think reality tv has really gotten out of hand.

I watched Scream this Saturday night past, and found it hardly scary at all. Yet back in 1996 when it was new, it was quite scary, or so it was reported. There's a big change. We seem to becoming harder and harder to scare. Or I am. I've been desensitized! :( I need something really, really scary, yet I seem to becoming harder to impress in the horror genre. They just aren't scaring me anymore. :(

E. M.
There is a new movie coming out (if it isn't out already). I think it was called The Conjuring. It's supposed to be really scary. I know what you mean though. I don't like scary movies or stories, but the ones that I watched when I was a kid don't scare me anymore like The Omen or Poltergeist or even the Jason movie. I think it's just that we're older. Maybe we don't scare as easily. Or you I mean. I still don't like scary movies. :oops::rolleyes::p

Myrddin

I've noticed that too. There were a lot of things I watched and listened to as a kid that were seemingly innocent but really just terrible. Back then, though I don't think it was such a big deal. I mean I never paid attention to the violence or suggestive behavior as a kid. And cartoons haven't changed that much in that respect. There are still cartoons with violence and suggestive behavior. There are cartoons like Adventure Time. I watched that once with my kids and was so upset that something like that would air on Cartoon Network rather than on Adultswim or even Comedy Central. A few years ago a show called Symbionic-Titan aired on Cartoon Network and it had some really crude scenes. Like a girl shaking her butt in really tight jeans to rap music. Parents got so heated that they complained non-stop until the show was removed. Now it airs on Cartoon Network's Adultswim. Adventure Time is so much worse, but five years later, it's not such a big deal as it would have been then, I guess.
As a kid, you wouldn't actively pay attention to the violence or suggestive behaviour, but subliminally I think it takes its toll. Fortunately, having good parents helps (or at least a good mother ;)). I have never heard of Adventure Time or Symbionic-Titan. Is it possible that they were never meant for the child audience?

Those were good shows. I still watch Arthur with my kids; it is fun to watch shows with my kids that I used to love as a kid. There are other shows around now that come on preschool channels, but those are really the only ones I really trust. Though my kids will also watch other shows like The Justice League Unlimited or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and other shows like it. Those are a bit violent, but that's expected. I don't mind the good vs. evil type battles.
I do hate that there is so much reality television on tv. I used to like...what was the show... Road Rules or World Wars... Something like that, but it's just kind of been taken too far. Last night I watched a show called Fat Cops. It was actually my fist time since I was a kid and watched...whatever that show was called...that I'd actually sat and watched a reality show. It was embarrassing to see police officers portrayed in such a way. I don't know how realistic reality shows are, but that one didn't leave me with a good feeling. My sister (she is an actress) told me about a casting that was held for the new reality show Amish-something... She told me that the casting was full of just regular actors (obviously) not real Amish people. But it seems really mean and unfair to create such a fictitious image of an entire group of people like housewives or Amish people or police officers or even "hillbillies". I think reality tv has really gotten out of hand.
I did used to like the animated Batman series; it came on TeleTune I believe. My sister didn't like it though, so I had a hard time getting a chance to watch it. She's always kind of controlled my life when I think about it. Our mom even gave her permission to step in as as surrogate when she wasn't around. At our dad's or something. Then my sister would complain that I "made her look bad". And I'd be in trouble. :mad:

Breaking Amish what you're thinking of? Ugh, Fat Cops? Just the title sounds terrible. How do these producers and networks, and actors (using the term loosely, here) think it's okay to make such portrayals? Is there something missing in their brains? They are destroying our culture and society; because it is unfair and mean to make such stereotypes. We need to remember that, for example, well the corrupt, mean and douchey police are those that are visible and we always hear about, the majority - I would like to think anyway - are good, hardworking people.

Is that Desperate Housewives you are referring to?
There is a new movie coming out (if it isn't out already). I think it was called The Conjuring. It's supposed to be really scary. I know what you mean though. I don't like scary movies or stories, but the ones that I watched when I was a kid don't scare me anymore like The Omen or Poltergeist or even the Jason movie. I think it's just that we're older. Maybe we don't scare as easily. Or you I mean. I still don't like scary movies. :oops::rolleyes::p
Tomorrow!! I am very excited. I might just go to see it next week. It looks soooooo scary. And I like Patrick Wilson, he is a good actor. Speaking of which, there is a second Insidious movie coming out later this year. Oh, I am so ready to be scared! You mean The Omen with Gregory Peck? I like that one; have it, too.

E. M.

Nadai

I have never heard of Adventure Time or Symbionic-Titan. Is it possible that they were never meant for the child audience?E. M.
No, they were meant for children. They actually had the rating thing for kids. Also they came on the kids network during kid hours, like 6pm on a Friday night or something like that. They didn't come on during Adultswim, they came on while kids were watching. That's why parents complained and had it taken off Cartoon Network and moved to Adultswim.

I did used to like the animated Batman series; it came on TeleTune I believe. My sister didn't like it though, so I had a hard time getting a chance to watch it. She's always kind of controlled my life when I think about it. Our mom even gave her permission to step in as as surrogate when she wasn't around. At our dad's or something. Then my sister would complain that I "made her look bad". And I'd be in trouble. :mad:E. M.
Ugh:mad: Freaking big sisters, right? My older sisters used to do the same to me. They used to love getting me in trouble. My parents like to say that I was a big bully when I was little, but in truth my sisters used to beat me up then say that I started stuff. Jerks.

I loved Batman when I was little and Batman Beyond when it came around later. I heard that there is talk about making a movie about Terry. I think that'd be awesome (nerd alert:rolleyes:). I think some of those shows still come on special channels like the HUB.

Breaking Amish what you're thinking of? Ugh, Fat Cops? Just the title sounds terrible. How do these producers and networks, and actors (using the term loosely, here) think it's okay to make such portrayals? Is there something missing in their brains? They are destroying our culture and society; because it is unfair and mean to make such stereotypes. We need to remember that, for example, well the corrupt, mean and douchey police are those that are visible and we always hear about, the majority - I would like to think anyway - are good, hardworking people.

Is that Desperate Housewives you are referring to?E. M.
I know. It just lends to the already awful stereotype that police officers are useless and don't really help the public, that all they do is sit around eating doughnuts. It's shameful really. The people who produce these shows and those who agree to play these roles must be unconscionable, or they just don't consider what their portrayals are doing to the people who they're actually pretending to be.

"douchey" :D :p:);)

Yes.

Tomorrow!! I am very excited. I might just go to see it next week. It looks soooooo scary. And I like Patrick Wilson, he is a good actor. Speaking of which, there is a second Insidious movie coming out later this year. Oh, I am so ready to be scared! You mean The Omen with Gregory Peck? I like that one; have it, too.

E. M.
I'm not sure who's in it. I haven't seen it since I was young. I suppose I could look it up, but I don't really want to:oops::confused::rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy the movies. Don't tell me about 'em;).

Myrddin

If it was the original Omen, then it would have been with Gregory Peck. I know that a remake was made, but I'm not sure when and I forget who's in it. Don't worry, I won't give away any scary details.

E. M.

Myrddin

Ugh:mad: Freaking big sisters, right? My older sisters used to do the same to me. They used to love getting me in trouble. My parents like to say that I was a big bully when I was little, but in truth my sisters used to beat me up then say that I started stuff. Jerks.
That's terrible! My sister never did anything like that, or not my twin at least. My younger sister did though sometimes. She would purposely fall back then scream and say one of us pushed her (being either me, my twin or step brother). And of course, we were the ones to get in trouble. Sure, the dad and step-mother know better now, but that doesn't really help the past. Disgusting! :rolleyes: Douchebags of sisters, am I right?

E. M.

Nadai

That's terrible! My sister never did anything like that, or not my twin at least. My younger sister did though sometimes. She would purposely fall back then scream and say one of us pushed her (being either me, my twin or step brother). And of course, we were the ones to get in trouble. Sure, the dad and step-mother know better now, but that doesn't really help the past. Disgusting! :rolleyes: Douchebags of sisters, am I right?

E. M.
Indeed.