Cerberus

Isis

I was reading up on Cerberus a little. I didn't realize or had forgotten he had a mane of snakes, like Medusa, and a snake tail. I also didn't know he was the brother of the Hydra, the Sphinx, and the Chimera.

i think cerberus is one of the offsprings of echidna and typhon. on one account, I also read that Cerberus was actually Hecate's pet (hecate-goddess of crossroads...) before Hades came into authority and make Cerberus guard the underworld's gates.

Nadai

i think cerberus is one of the offsprings of echidna and typhon. on one account, I also read that Cerberus was actually Hecate's pet (hecate-goddess of crossroads...) before Hades came into authority and make Cerberus guard the underworld's gates.
I heard the same myth, though I'm not sure whos translation it was. Cerberus was a normal dog, but Pluto stole him away and transformed him into a monster and forced him to guard the gates into Hades. I remember a myth about Orpheus, he was traveling into the Underworld to rescue Eurydice; Orpheus came upon Cerberus and played him a song on his lyre, Cerberus fell asleep and began to dream about his past life running through fields. It was a sad story and it made me feel so bad for the poor creature, since then Cerberus has been my favorite monster of Greek Mythology.

Isis

That is a bit sad, Nadai. I'd read that Orpheus lulled Cerberus to sleep with his lyre, but I hadn't heard about Cerberus dreaming of his past life or that he used to be a normal dog.

Allie-Gator

Awww, how sad. Poor baby. It was just a misunderstood dog. I hadn't read that about Cerberus before but it makes sense. I don't know about passing past him though, I would be scared just looking at him.

Nadai

Ditto. They're is something disconcerting about having to walk through a door guarded by a giant three-headed dog!

Isis

Ditto. They're is something disconcerting about having to walk through a door guarded by a giant three-headed dog!
No kidding! I can pity Cerberus from a distance now that I know more of his background, but if I had to face him, I'm sure all my pity would be overwhelmed by fear.

Myrddin

Even if you know that if you just play him a little music, he'll fall straight asleep?

Nadai

Even if you know that if you just play him a little music, he'll fall straight asleep?
What if you were in the middle of playing him music and the batteries in your radio went dead or, I guess more appropriately, the string on your lyre broke! *shivers*

Isis

What if you were in the middle of playing him music and the batteries in your radio went dead or, I guess more appropriately, the string on your lyre broke! *shivers*
Exactly. I'm not exactly made of the stuff of heroes and all the "what if" scenarios tend to end badly for me. ;)

Maybe I could handle it if I brought two lyres!

Myrddin

Exactly. I'm not exactly made of the stuff of heroes and all the "what if" scenarios tend to end badly for me. ;)

Maybe I could handle it if I brought two lyres!
What about a flute? Or a recorder? Saxophone? No strings that could break! Trombone!! Trumpet!!! French Horn!?! Bassoon!!!!
Or you could take a piano. I don't think the strings in that are likely to break unless, of course, you just drop it on him. In theory, it could work.:D

fibi ducks

Hang on Myrddin, aren't you asuming that everyone can make music? I've sung a couple of times and people
tell me that it just isn't singing.

Myrddin

Hang on Myrddin, aren't you asuming that everyone can make music? I've sung a couple of times and people
tell me that it just isn't singing.
Yes, but singing is quite different from playing an instrument. Even if you can't really play it, it still creates musical notes. Make it up as you go along. Also, I wasn't being entirely serious. How could one actually carry a piano all the way down to the underworld? Maybe Hercules.