Campbell's virgin bitrths

fibi ducks

I read Joseph Campbell's interviews (I forget the titleof the book) - he talks about virgin births being a common occurance in many cultures' mythologies. What are they? Does it mean a birth where there was no male at all? Or does it mean one where the father is supposed to be divine?
I didn't get a lot of what he said, but this stuck in my mind.

LegendofJoe

I read Joseph Campbell's interviews (I forget the titleof the book) - he talks about virgin births being a common occurance in many cultures' mythologies. What are they? Does it mean a birth where there was no male at all? Or does it mean one where the father is supposed to be divine?
I didn't get a lot of what he said, but this stuck in my mind.
Hey fibi
The Bill Moyers' interviews with Campbell is called The Power of Myth.
There is a companion book to the series.
Yes, a virgin birth is one where the father is not mortal, and the mother became impregnated
by supernatural means. At least that is how I understand it.
Many mythical figures were thought to be born this way.
The Egyptian god Horus was conceived after his father Osiris was murdered.
Zoroaster was thought to be conceived supernaturally as well.

jerri

I thought a virgin birth could also be one where there's no father and no mention of a divine being. But I guess there is a big difference between supernatural and divine in this instance.

RLynn

I thought a virgin birth could also be one where there's no father and no mention of a divine being. But I guess there is a big difference between supernatural and divine in this instance.
Parthenogenesis technically has nothing to do with the supernatural. For what it's worth, I think that it was often used as a euphemism for illegitimacy, since the open admission that a bastard might amount to something could be construed as an excuse for the heinous sin of promiscuity. Thank god modern society has largely progressed beyond such barbaric notions.