Buried alive

Wotan

I want my body to be bronzed naked then catipulted into the sun. that would be an awesome way to leave this world.

Rhonda Tharp

My husband is an architect, and he has always "joked" about being cremated and wanting his ashes mixed in with the cement in his last building he designed. As we have gotten older, I'm beginning to think he is serious about this...

Olsen

Edgar Allan Poe was obsessed with the idea of being buried alive. He alludes to it in quite a few of his short stories, among which the most prominent is "The Premature Burial". There had been many rumors about people being buried alive and, after being rescued due to the bell device, they went insane.

I find the idea of being buried alive horrifying... I'd like to be frozen when I die. I'm rather fond of cryogenics.

Liz

There is a tomb in Argentina that has become a monument for a woman who was buried alive. She had cataleptic attack and people thought she was dead. She awoke inside her casket and clawed the top open, but died of a heart attack before anyone rescue her. They now have mechanical coffins that have alarm bells just in case.

Katie

There have been instances where coffins have been exhumed only to find deep scratch marks and blood on the inside of the lid.
Okay that really scared me. Just reading it sends chills up my spine. Do you guys know the movie Buried Alive? It was one of the most horrible movies ever made. I thought this would be about that but it's actually creepier. Actual scratch marks...... :-|

magickz

Honestly I would hate the idea of being buried alive, to me its almost like having to die by drowning. It just seems like one of those ways that I would not want to go out, seems a little too harsh for my liking.

Rhonda Tharp

Anybody read Steig Larson's trilogy? - so eerie when Lisbeth got buried by her own brother and father! Then there's the Kill Bill scene with Uma busting out of the coffin... *shudder*

Frumpy

It also depends of the undertaker. Nowadays, it is difficult to trust anybody. We just found out that one of the funeral homes in my town was selling body parts. Talk about scary. I don't think they were embalming everybody the way the should either.

blarneyrubble

The story that all this brings to mind for me is "The Ka of Gifford Hillary" by Dennis Wheatley. It's not in the league of Poe but it did vividly illustrate the authors total fear of being buried alive. Myself, I am going to be decapitated and then cremated just to make sure.

Myrddin

This is all very creepy, but also fascinating. I will definitely be taking measures to make sure I am not buried alive.

thanks;), me and my brothers have fun being buried alive and well race to see who gets out first....i know my family is weird like that, but at the same time the grave is like only 2 feet deep and its soft dirt, so no worries there!

Myrddin

thanks;), me and my brothers have fun being buried alive and well race to see who gets out first....i know my family is weird like that, but at the same time the grave is like only 2 feet deep and its soft dirt, so no worries there!
And you all look after each other, I hope.