Buried alive

Dragonsbreath

This has happened more times than I'd like to think about it. There have been instances where coffins have been exhumed only to find deep scratch marks and blood on the inside of the lid. Think how horrible it would be to wake up in a coffin in the ground. Scary thought huh? But with today's embalming techniques, if you weren't dead before they did it, you would be afterward so no worries.

Talaria

Yes! That is why they would put a string attached to a bell back in the days, which coined the term graveyard shift!

Talaria

hahaha yeah! I actually learned that back in H.S. I did a report on Vampires and how they were tied into American folklore. I came across that information.

TheReaper

Ohhh, just the thought of being buried alive is SO creepy! What an awful way to go. It gives me the heebie jeebies just to think about it.

Nadai

hahaha yeah! I actually learned that back in H.S. I did a report on Vampires and how they were tied into American folklore. I came across that information.
During the Black Plague people feared that God had cursed them. People began sighting vampires and so they started digging up coffins. They noticed the nail scratches and thought that vampires were trying to escape coffins so they would steak, then salt, then burn the bodies. They noticed that the nails and hair of the dead appeared longer which, in actuality, is due to skin shrinkage, and thought these were sure signs of vampirism.

DLegend

I remember reading a news in a newspaper when I was in college about a lady who came back to life when she was ready for embalming. I believe that there are a lot of people who are buried alive in the old days just because they thought the person stopped breathing. I can't even imagine how terrible it would be to be awakened grasping for air inside a coffin.

Talaria

yes! That information was in my report too, as was Elizabeth Bathory, the acid killer and some other stuff I can't remember. You guys are bringing it back. I remember I scared the crap out of my class when I did this report(it was 10 years ago, vampires weren't as popular than, unless you count Buffy) I was the last person to go and actually now that I think about it, the theme wasn't folklore, I was in P.E. class and we had to a report on a disease, so I actually started to look up tuberculosis and vampires kept popping up, so my P.E. teacher let me base my report on folklore. I got an A+ and the faces on my fellow students were priceless.

Nadai

yes! That information was in my report too, as was Elizabeth Bathory, the acid killer and some other stuff I can't remember. You guys are bringing it back. I remember I scared the crap out of my class when I did this report(it was 10 years ago, vampires weren't as popular than, unless you count Buffy) I was the last person to go and actually now that I think about it, the theme wasn't folklore, I was in P.E. class and we had to a report on a disease, so I actually started to look up tuberculosis and vampires kept popping up, so my P.E. teacher let me base my report on folklore. I got an A+ and the faces on my fellow students were priceless.
I also did a report on the Countess Elizabeth Bathory when I was in school. It was amazing and very interesting to have had historical proof of vamparism. Though she didn't feed on the blood she bathed in it and occasionally drank some of it. She thought it kept her young and with the help of a witch servant she kidnapped hundreds of girls for her blood sport and tortured and killed them. Though I'm not sure you could call this folklore. This actually happened in Hungaria; she lived from 1560-1640. She was tried for these murders and sentenced to a life sentence of house arrest. She died shortly afterward, some say, due to lack of blood to maintain her strength.

Chintai

During the Black Plague people feared that God had cursed them. People began sighting vampires and so they started digging up coffins. They noticed the nail scratches and thought that vampires were trying to escape coffins so they would steak, then salt, then burn the bodies. They noticed that the nails and hair of the dead appeared longer which, in actuality, is due to skin shrinkage, and thought these were sure signs of vampirism.
I always thought that nails and hair do actually continue to grow for a while after death! Some great stories here but this is definitely a horrid thing to think about close to bedtime. I am curious about the person who said she was buried alive and enjoyed it!

Isabelle

Being buried alive would indeed be horrible. Chintai I am pretty sure that nails and hair do continue to grow for a short time after death.

Nadai

Being buried alive would indeed be horrible. Chintai I am pretty sure that nails and hair do continue to grow for a short time after death.
I studied Forensic Chemistry in college and I can assure you, after decomposition begins, the skin shrinks which creates the illusion that hair and nails grow, but in fact, because the body is dead, as are all bodily functions, hair and nails no longer grow.

Nadai

i can honestly say i have been burried alive....for three seconeds!!!! it was fun!!!!
I've heard of such things as being willing buried alive as well as being stranggled for fun. Apparently because of the brain's Fight or Flight reaction the body releases a great deal of adrenaline as well as noradrenaline which creates a hypercatabolic state in the brain. It is similar to a type of drug-induced high, but the brain can overdose on said chemicals which can lead to heart-attack and/or death.

Goddess2u

I don't want to go that way either. I had a friend who worked at a mortuary and he said when they picked up bodies sometimes the bodies would jerk and it always scared the crap out of them.

Allie-Gator

You should hear a corpse sigh! That will put a wrinkle in your underwear. Now when they embalm you, there is no way you could be alive after that. So if you are worried about being buried alive now, it doesn't happen.

DLegend

So if you are worried about being buried alive now, it doesn't happen.
Depends on your culture and where you are located. Some cultures don't embalm their dead and cremate it as soon as possible. Now that will surely keep you dead if were still living when they pronounced you dead.

Isis

I am glad I will be cremated. Reading this thread gave me the shivers!

Lilith, more power to you, but being buried alive on purpose does not seem fun to me.