Brigid

LegendofJoe

The above is a drawing I did years ago of the goddess Brigid.
She is the goddess of springtime and her feast day is Feb. 1.
She is associated with fire, inspiration and healing.
I tried to do an original image of her in ink. I placed the flames around her along with serpents, which she is associated with.
Unfortunately this scan does not show it, but the famous Brigid's cross is embroidered in her cloak.
She is holding a votive offering which I based on an actual Celtic artifact. The Celts used to make images of themselves that featured an ailment . They then placed it in water ( a portal to the Otherworld), hoping the gods would cure them. This particular image may have been the wrong one for me to draw however since it looks a bit...well...phallic?
My friend Irina posed for me for this drawing. She's not Irish by the way, but Russian.
So let me know what you guys think. I have a few other Celtic themed drawings I can post; or should I stick to my day job?

Pegasus

You have really captured the essence of Brigid and have done her proud Legend of Joe!:) You certainly have many talents, and would love to see more of your work. Also, if you would please include a little blurb about the person you sketched. It really brings the character to life. Great job!

LegendofJoe

Thanks guys!! You rock!
The woman who posed for me is my friend Irina. I worked with her for quite a few years until she left and moved to CT.
She now lives in Boston with her husband and two beautiful sons.
When she posed for me I let her hold a coke bottle in place of the figurine. I then had to draw it in place of the bottle.
She has aided me in several drawings. I have always thought she had a face for TV or the movies.

LegendofJoe

Thanks guy! You rock.
I have posted another old pic i did some 20 years ago.
This is the story of Cuchulainn avoiding temptation by the Morrigan to sleep with her.
The Morrigan is the goddess of war, and her seduction is a metaphor for the panic that young warriors feel when entering battle.
But Cuchulainn is not easily tempted: he is ignoring her and paying more attention to his weapons than to her.
This hero would never panic in a fight.
I have her materializing from a crow, which is her symbol.
The models are my friends Anthony and his wife Nancy. They are really more my brother's friends: he new Anthony since grade school and we still see them today. Actually they were at my parents' 50th anniversary a month ago.
They have two boys and live in upstate New York. They are both musicians.

LegendofJoe

To Pegasus
The model for Brigid is my friend and former coworker Irina. We still keep in touch.
She is married with two boys and they live in Boston.
She has helped me with other drawings as well. I always felt that she had a face that was meant for TV or the big screen.

These drawings are really old. I originally did them for a Celtic calendar that features black and white drawings.
I got a hold of their address and sent them some Xerox copies of the drawings by mail. I never heard from them.
So they have been gathering dust behind my door until now.
Thanks for letting me share, I have a few more to post.

Frumpy

I never read about this goddess. It was nice to have the story and the image to go with it. Do you have other drawings or other legends?

Isis

Brigid is a very interesting character. Naturally she was turned into a saint by the Catholic Church so they could co-opt the holiday (Candlemas). Your drawings are very cool, although the first one is definitely phallic.

Olsen

Those are some really awesome drawings, LegendofJoe! Congratulations! The story about Cuchulainn and Morrigan is one of my favorites from Celtic myths. If you have any more, please post them.

Also, your model's name, Irina, is quite uncommon in my area. May I ask what nationality she is? Eastern European, by any chance...? :confused:

LegendofJoe

Those are some really awesome drawings, LegendofJoe! Congratulations! The story about Cuchulainn and Morrigan is one of my favorites from Celtic myths. If you have any more, please post them.

Also, your model's name, Irina, is quite uncommon in my area. May I ask what nationality she is? Eastern European, by any chance...? :confused:
Hi Olsen
Thank you for the compliment.
My friend Irina is of Ukranian descent. The name is used in Russia also but pronounced a bit differently.
So you were right: Eastern European.