Bermuda triangle

Pegasus

I have always been fascinated about the stories, legends and myths that surround the Bermuda Triangle. There is intrigue at every turn. Compasses failing to work, boats disappearing, possible wormhole, paranormal activity. What are your feelings about this area? Myth or fact?

TheLoreman

I like the idea of the Bermuda triangle. I fear though the mystery has practically been explained away these days which is a shame.

Isis

I like the idea of the Bermuda triangle. I fear though the mystery has practically been explained away these days which is a shame.
Really? How have they explained the odd disappearances and phenomenon experienced in the Bermuda triangle? I haven't read any explanations, but would love to hear what they are.

TheLoreman

Really? How have they explained the odd disappearances and phenomenon experienced in the Bermuda triangle? I haven't read any explanations, but would love to hear what they are.
The last one I heard from a documentary hosted by Arthur C. Clarke was that beneath the seabed around that area was prone to massive expenditures of methane gas. This would then ascend the ocean and be released into the atmosphere.

This works two ways: The methane reaches the surface of the ocean erupting in a mass of bubbles, causing any vessel passing by to lose boyancy, take in water and sink. The methane in the meantime continues to rise, being less dense than air, and climbs the earths atmosphere. An aircraft flying through the rising yet invisible methane cloud would ignite the gas, it being so flammable, and destroy the plane.

I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the documentary, and while I don't believe that explanation resolves every single phenomen surrounding Bermuda Triangle it solved enough. The remaining mysteries thereafter can be attributed to general mysteries of the sea, which aren't therefore exclusive to the Bermuda Trianlge.

Myrddin

The last one I heard from a documentary hosted by Arthur C. Clarke was that beneath the seabed around that area was prone to massive expenditures of methane gas. This would then ascend the ocean and be released into the atmosphere.
This works two ways: The methane reaches the surface of the ocean erupting in a mass of bubbles, causing any vessel passing by to lose boyancy, take in water and sink. The methane in the meantime continues to rise, being less dense than air, and climbs the earths atmosphere. An aircraft flying through the rising yet invisible methane cloud would ignite the gas, it being so flammable, and destroy the plane.

I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the documentary, and while I don't believe that explanation resolves every single phenomen surrounding Bermuda Triangle it solved enough. The remaining mysteries thereafter can be attributed to general mysteries of the sea, which aren't therefore exclusive to the Bermuda Trianlge.
Interesting. Thank you for this.

TheLoreman

Jeez sorry about that post. My spelling was way off. Phenomenon was what I meant to type.

Yes while I watched it I was fascinated, but as the show went on, the mystery began to crumble and I became somewhat sad at the end. I like the idea of science not being able to explain this one. Maritime mysteries are the best.

mythlvr

I have read before that it had to do with magnetic fields and in that specific area that caused things to fail. Not everything fails and I have heard that people still travel through it and get through just fine. I haven't heard of any disappearances recently but definitely something to look up.

TheLoreman

I can't recall exactly but I think the show I watched mentioned how the Bermuda Triangle isn't the leader in maritime casualties. Apparently Lloyds of London document every single event to do with shipping disasters and by their records the Bermuda Triangle isn't anything particularly significant. It's just that the myth endured from a time in history where that part of the ocean was particularly busy. These day's it's nothing much. It could be though that the disasters that do occur around there are usually unresolved as to why they happen. Perhaps this is why the legend lives on...?

Frumpy

I have always wondered in the truth about this great mystery. It would be interesting investigating this mystery, but with even a little truth to it, would you really take the chance?

Katie

I was pee in my pants scared of this story before especially since I used to fly a plane two to four times every year (then again I flew above the pacific ocean, not the atlantic, where it is rumoured to be haha I was young and foolish and I believed everything so yeah.)