Babies and mirrors?

Diana

Have you heard an Urban Legend about Babies not seeing their reflection before the age of 1 or their soul will be stolen? A friend just had a baby and this is what her mother told her, it is first I have heard of it.

Katie

I haven't heard of that! Scary. I heard different. What I know is that if you take a picture of a sleeping baby the camera steals the soul something like that. That's why if you take a picture of a baby you have to delete it if his/her eyes are closed..

greekgoddess31

That particular story is showcased in a movie called "The Unborn". I think it was a Romanian myth if I remember correctly but a lot of different peoples have myths similar to that.

Nadai

I haven't heard of that! Scary. I heard different. What I know is that if you take a picture of a sleeping baby the camera steals the soul something like that. That's why if you take a picture of a baby you have to delete it if his/her eyes are closed..
I've heard a similar legend, but rather than it's eyes are closed it's if their eyes are red. I've also heard about not letting the baby see it's reflection, but my ten month old loves looking in the mirror. I have heard that if you take a photo of the dead or if a person dies in a room with a mirror, that their soul will become trapped in the mirror until it is broken or they are released.

Frumpy

I have never heard of any of these myths. I have to admit they are pretty creepy. Makes me want to get rid of the mirrors. I know they are not true, but they are so unnerving that makes you wonder, what if it were a little true?

cherub

Gosh, that's a crazy myth if I ever heard one. I found out my oldest daughter's obsession with mirrors when she was about 4 months old. She was the baby that cried day and night. One night when she was crying, I went in the bathroom to grab something and she saw her reflection and stopped crying. We bought her every toy with a mirror on it!

Nadai

Gosh, that's a crazy myth if I ever heard one. I found out my oldest daughter's obsession with mirrors when she was about 4 months old. She was the baby that cried day and night. One night when she was crying, I went in the bathroom to grab something and she saw her reflection and stopped crying. We bought her every toy with a mirror on it!
I did the same with both my babies. My son is now three and whenever he tries to throw a tantrum I ask him if he wants to go and stand in the mirror- he doesn't llike to see himself cry.

Diana

My kids have always enjoyed looking at themselves in the mirror. I think it helps them discover things about themselves. It never hurt my kids. My one boy doesn't like to see himself cry either.