Atlantis

Boudica

I am sure most of you have heard of Atlantis, the legendary island that sank into the ocean and has never been found. What do you believe? I think that it is definitely a possibility, look how much we discover each day and think of how much more is out there.

Talaria

I think it could be a possibility as well. I always pictured it somewhere near the Isle of Man. I think most people picture it in the Mediterranian.

Medusa

Well, if you take the recent spate of tidal waves and tsunamis that have happened, it could very well have been submerged due to a tidal wave. I would have loved to have seen it though.

DLegend

If we try to see the history of our planet, the sinking of the whole island is very much probable. I think the sinking of Atlantis happened right after the ice age when the sea water rose and then accompanied by a huge tidal wave caused by an eruption of a volcano. I also believe that it is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean instead of the Mediterranean Sea just because of the name of these places.

Poseidon

Well from Evidence that historians have gathered there is a city that fell into the ocean off of Greece way before the eruption of Pompii,
That Island was Identified in written and drawings as the city of Atlantis, allege birth place of Poseidon himself, during the course of 100 plus yrs the seas changed and any thing in the ocean shifted over that time...Current location is believed to be the Devils Triangle

Goldie

I believe there is an Atlantis, but I'm not prepared to say exactly what or where it is. There's so much that we don't know, and not everything can be proved with an archaeological dig.

indianaj

You do have to take into consideration the fact that the only account of Atlantis is in Plato's writings who might have been referring to an idle society through example since he was a writer.

Wotan

I've recently been watching a documentary that claims that Atlantis was a city previous to Egpyt, apparently the Sphinx and the area the Spinx is sitting in has had water dammage and the amount of dammage done would require an amount of rain that hasn't happened since the last ice age (this is excluding the head of the Sphinx which was recalved in more recent egyptian times). This water dammage points the Spinx to being build long before the pyramids. This documentary goes on to say that the Spinx was probably built to look out and its own star sign, for this to happen it would have had to been standing 16thousand years ago. But 16thousand years ago was DURING the last ice age which leads them to belive the Spinx was build another 10 thousand years before that (to gaize apon the the previouse again spinx constalation).

Apparently the story of Atlantis comes from a man who's father heard the story from an Egyptian priest, there were some other points that I don't remember well enough to convey (including the inside of a pyramid having the same water damage meaning that the pyramid was built around this previous structure and a tablet pre-dating the pyramids talking about the importance of the spinx )

I personally do not believe enough research has been done onto the matter so do not support this theory, but you have to admit, it is interesting

Olsen

It is quite possible that there was a large, populated island that sinked into the ocean, but the other aspects related to the technologically-evolved people of Atlantis are no more than a myth.

This is the first time I read about Atlantis being related to Egypt...

Willowtree

Have you guys heard the lastest news on Atlantis? Seems they think that Atlantis was situated in, what is today, the Striates of Gibraltar. When Atlantis existed, the same area was called the "Pillars of Hercules" and is in the documents talking about Atlantis. They have found some circular landmarks below the sea level which indicate the circular island that Atlantis was built on. They are going to do more exploring to see what is going on down there. I'm glad we have more evidence now. I'm anxious to see what happened. They think that a tsunami destroyed Atlantis just as Japan has been pretty much destroyed by a tsunami. The remaining survivors would have migrated on to Italy, Spain, India and other places. This theory makes much more sense to me.

Pegasus

It is interesting the information and different theories surrounding Atlantis. In addition to the possible location near the "Pillars of Hercules", another location included is the Island of Crete. There is a suggestion that when translating the information from Egyptian to Greek, transcribing errors occured with relation to year and miles which would have changed the location of Atlantis. Guess it will reamain a history mystery until something more concrete is discovered. Certainly makes interesting conversation though.

LegendofJoe

I think that scientists will, in time, discover lost towns or maybe even cities underwater.
But whether or not these places can be classified as Atlantis, this is where I doubt.

Nadai

I whole-heartedly believe in Atlantis. My sophomore year of college I studied Classical Greek and Roman myth. One of the books we had to read was Edward Tripp's Classical Mythology, it is a type of encyclopedia, and it mentions Atlantis. We looked into the possibility of such a city that could have existed and what it would have been like, when it would have existed, how advanced the people would have been. There were a great number of inconcistencies found, but I still believe that it did exist and I hope someone finds it someday. I believe that every myth is based on some sort of fact and this myth is far to popular to be solely legend.
I especially loved Sherrilyn Kenyon's portrayal of the city of Atlantis in Acheron of her Dark-Hunter Series. She gave a beautifully realistic description of the city, though it wasn't so in the eyes of the main character. Her entire series plays on Greek myth, though not always entirely accurate, but it does explain how the Greeks and Atlantiens would have been related and how the Pantheons would have been towards one another.