Are celts in your own heritage?

Oak Leaves

How many people here have discovered any of their family lines go back into Celtic history? We have one line in my mother's line that goes back to Welsh and Celtic history. People here have connected to lines in England and hooked into those. It's fascinating to know that some of your ancestors walked in the footsteps of legend we still hear about today.

greekgoddess31

I have a Celtic line on my mothers side and I find it fascinating to study. We have traced back to Scotland and Ireland. I love the history of that area of the world it is so amazing.

Athena

My ancestry is Celtic, French, Native American, and German. I am somewhat of a melting pot. Genealogy is fascinating although I have basically been a beneficiary of research done by relatives. When I have more time, I'd like to delve into it myself.

Myrddin

My ancestral lines are Scottish, Irish, and Swiss-German. I have yet to find out if either my Scottish or Irish heritage goes back to the Celts -- I haven't traced that far back yet. It would certainly be interesting if either, or BOTH, do. It will be exciting to find out.

The Bane-less

I got a lucky break in tracing my ancestors and found out I descend through my mother from the ancient High Kings of Ireland and the Princes of Wales. some of whom claimed descent from characters straight out of Celtic mythology!

RLynn

I got a lucky break in tracing my ancestors and found out I descend through my mother from the ancient High Kings of Ireland and the Princes of Wales. some of whom claimed descent from characters straight out of Celtic mythology!
I am impressed, but I cannot claim such an impressive ancestry. I am just an ordinary mongrel: a little of this, a little ot that, etc.

Myrddin

I am impressed, but I cannot claim such an impressive ancestry. I am just an ordinary mongrel: a little of this, a little ot that, etc.
Same here. So far as I know, I'm a regular run-of-the-mill mongrel.

Alejandro

According to a 2002 article, "The Royal We," you wouldn't even need go too far back in time for us to all be quite literally blood-related, just based on the mathematics of how many human beings have ever lived on Earth, uhh... ever. Apparently, "the most recent common ancestor of all six billion people on earth today probably lived just a couple of thousand years ago. And not long before that the majority of the people on the planet were the direct ancestors of everyone alive today. Confucius, Nefertiti, and just about any other ancient historical figure who was even moderately prolific must today be counted among everyone's ancestors." See the whole thing: It's pretty interesting>> http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2002/05/the-royal-we/2497/

RLynn

According to a 2002 article, "The Royal We," you wouldn't even need go too far back in time for us to all be quite literally blood-related, just based on the mathematics of how many human beings have ever lived on Earth, uhh... ever. Apparently, "the most recent common ancestor of all six billion people on earth today probably lived just a couple of thousand years ago. And not long before that the majority of the people on the planet were the direct ancestors of everyone alive today. Confucius, Nefertiti, and just about any other ancient historical figure who was even moderately prolific must today be counted among everyone's ancestors." See the whole thing: It's pretty interesting>> http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2002/05/the-royal-we/2497/
Fascinating article, thanks! I never bothered to think about the mathematics of it, but it certainly seems to make sense.

Runemalar

I am Scottish, Celtic and I am of the line of the gunnar, the clan Gunn, "Aut Pax Aut Bellum", while my grandmother was of the sundered line of the house of the Black Douglas, cousin to the then Duke of Hamilton who was himself a usurper of that rightful line. "Jamais Arriere", my grandfathers line stretched back to the captains of the Viklander longships of the Great Summerled, "Lord of the Isles" they were born of Willum the son of Willum, (Wilson) born themselves of the ancient Norse line of Ragnor Lothbok, called Ragnar 'hairy breeks' because of his tar dipped goat skin troos. His sons invaded York and slew their fathers murderer who was king Iella and wrought a terrible revenge upon the English. In my line flows the blood of celtic Picts, Gaels, and Norse. There is a legend that my great grandmother was descended from John Wilson who invented the modern tartan and tweed industries, but after rising against the foreign English usurpers of Scotland's sovereign right to self determination and freedom from England's rule, the evil so and so's hanged, drew and quartered him on Glasgow Green in 1844. I like to think that there may be some truth in this family legend, even if for the pure romance and historical interest. All I know is that we have been rebels for as long as I can remember. Alba gu Brath...

Argus

I heard an interesting fact that of all the people who who have ever been born 10% are alive today!! Due to huge population rise.

Benst

Most Brits have some sort of 'celt' in them somewhere, although there has never been identified a specific celtic genotype. Indeed, people all over Europe have some sort of celt in them. I'm originally from the Uk and although both my parents come from the lancashire/Yorkshire region, I have ancestry on my paternal grandmother's side from Cornwall/Devon. My maternal great-grandmother was a Prendergast from Ireland, and I have some Welsh and Scots Gail in there too. British isles are really just a melting pot betweeon Britons, English, Scandinavians, Normans and the many immigrants who have come in over the years.