Aphrodite is in the news

Chintai

I can see why they would be proud to have this picture on their new style passports. However, it does seem a bit obvious that the nudity would be an issue. in some cultures. I wonder what they will do now, considering it is too late to make any changes.

Eulalie

I wonder how it really looks on the passport. I didn't see a picture of the actual image on the passport. If it is just a shadow or outline, then it really shouldn't be an issue. I don't think it was necessarily wise to use the full image, but it is a part of their heritage. I wonder if the fact that the foreign ministry wasn't consulted in the first place, isn't the main problem.

RLynn

While I celebrate diversity, I can't help but wish that certain cultures would at least be a little more tolerant of the rest of the world. Being overly prudish about the human body is sometimes carried to ridiculous extremes.

Goldie

I wouldn't want it on my passport so I can understand why some people might not be happy. I wouldn't say that I'd be offended, but it's just not what I want to look at.

RLynn

I don't know how I would feel about having a nude Aphrodite on my passport, because I've never had a passport. The last time I went to Canada, I didn't need one.

Isis

I think it's a bit silly to get worked up over a naked image of Aphrodite but that is just me. Since it can't be changed, I wonder if people will be barred from entering countries that have a problem with it.

RLynn

.....I wonder if people will be barred from entering countries that have a problem with it.
That would be okay with me. I would be afraid to enter any country which has such a serious problem with a mere picture on a passport. It gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Isis

That's a good point RLynn. At first I was thinking how close-minded and irritating it would be to the traveler, but you are right, it'd probably be a dangerous and oppressive place to be anyway.

Camma

Oh the irony ! I think the most telling point about the article is that the Cypriot Interior Ministry failed to consult with the Foreign Ministry about the use of the Goddess of Love ! Not much love lost there !

Travis

While I celebrate diversity, I can't help but wish that certain cultures would at least be a little more tolerant of the rest of the world. Being overly prudish about the human body is sometimes carried to ridiculous extremes.
Nudity is beautiful and I have no issue seeing it on a passport. Though, as you said about celebrating diversity, why wouldn't us who need to be a bit more tolerant of those who think that nudity is taboo?

RLynn

Nudity is beautiful and I have no issue seeing it on a passport. Though, as you said about celebrating diversity, why wouldn't us who need to be a bit more tolerant of those who think that nudity is taboo?
There's nothing wrong with moderation, but there's something inconsistent about being tolerant of intolerance.

CancerLeo

I think the idea of having a nude aphrodite on a passport, if done well, would be nice. I mean if they are worried about the nudity, why not have mist or something covering up her lady parts.