Anyone seen any good movies lately?

LegendofJoe

I saw a really disturbing film called Antichrist. It starred Willem Dafoe.
It is a psychological horror film that is sort of a take on the Adam and Eve thing; and the nature of evil.
If you have a strong stomach, I recommend it.
And make sure there are no kids in the house!
And don't send me hate mail if it really freaks you out!:eek:

RLynn

I watched the British road movie Heartlands last night. It was somewhat uplifting without being stupid, and thankfully it did not have a Hollywood ending.

Myrddin

I saw a really disturbing film called Antichrist. It starred Willem Dafoe.
It is a psychological horror film that is sort of a take on the Adam and Eve thing; and the nature of evil.
If you have a strong stomach, I recommend it.
And make sure there are no kids in the house!
And don't send me hate mail if it really freaks you out!:eek:
I may see it, though I'm not sure now. Not being able to send you hate mail somehow takes some of the fun out of it.;) Hee, hee.

Seriously though, I will definitely find the time to watch it. That's the kind of movie I live to see.

RLynn

I may see it, though I'm not sure now. Not being able to send you hate mail somehow takes some of the fun out of it.;) Hee, hee.
Seriously though, I will definitely find the time to watch it. That's the kind of movie I live to see.
It's worth seeing, but it is really freaky. I would have to do some careful mental preparation before another viewing. Some horror movies are easy to dismiss as too absurd. However, this one somehow doesn't work like that, at least not for me. It even resulted in nightmares.

Nadai

I watched Howl's Moving Castle with my kids last night. It is a very popular Japanese movie, in fact it's one of the best anime movies in Japan. They really liked it, but I'm sure I did moreso than them. It was a pretty great movie for anyone who likes anime which I looove!!!!

Myrddin

I watched Howl's Moving Castle with my kids last night. It is a very popular Japanese movie, in fact it's one of the best anime movies in Japan. They really liked it, but I'm sure I did moreso than them. It was a pretty great movie for anyone who likes anime which I looove!!!!
What is this movie about?

Nadai

It's a really great movie about an average teenage girl with a crush; she gets cursed by the evil Witch of the Waste and has to find a way to break the spell. Along the way she meets several people who help her and in turn she helps them and they all become good friends. One of the main characters is voiced by Christian Bale(Batman) which I'd never realized until I'd watched it with my kids and heard him speaking and thought of how much like Batman he sounded and sure enough it was him!
It's a really great movie. My son asked to watch it again today, as a matter of fact. TWICE!
Here's a link online where you can watch it for free...That's how I get most of my movies;)
http://www.animeatom.com/watch-streaming-english-dubbed-howls-moving-castle/

Myrddin

Wow, sounds like a good movie. Have you heard of the anime movie of Disney's that's coming out? I forget what it's called, but I just saw a trailer for it in the past week.

RLynn

I'm enjoying the 2008 British TV series Apparitions. It's about an exorcist. Very spooky!

DialfortheDevil

I would definitely recommend the new Woman In Black film, its actually really scary. The ending is completely different to the book by the way.

Myrddin

I would definitely recommend the new Woman In Black film, its actually really scary. The ending is completely different to the book by the way.
I just saw that on Friday. Loved it! I bought the book afterwards, to read once I finish the one I'm reading now. I thought Daniel Radcliffe was excellent. Never thought of him once as Harry Potter throughout the movie. (I find that's always a fear, when an actor has played the same role for seven movies, or television seasons, straight.)

Nadai

Wow, sounds like a good movie. Have you heard of the anime movie of Disney's that's coming out? I forget what it's called, but I just saw a trailer for it in the past week.
It's called The Secret World fo Arrietty. It's based on a series of books called The Borrowers. There was actaully a movie made a long time ago, though it wasn't animated. I've seen the other movie and read a couple of the books, but I do plan on buying this new one, it looks pretty great.

LegendofJoe

I just saw the remake of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. It was not bad.
The director (Del Toro), said it was the scariest film he grew up with.
My sis would agree. The original scared her so much that to this day she cannot sleep alone.
When I told her that a remake was being made she was very concerned because she was afraid she
would inadvertantly see a TV trailer and freak out.
To me the remake was not scary enough. I actually found parts funny!
I don't know what it is about CGI, but the puppet-like creatures in the original were just creepier.

RLynn

Yesterday evening I finally got around to watching the prequel/sequel Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. It was extremely good, I thought, and I don't quite understand why it was panned so severely when it came out. The reviews I have seen criticize it as being too unlike the TV series, and also that it is too incoherent and dark. Yes, it is dark and not like the Twin Peaks series, but there is nothing incoherent about it except possibly for the occasional cuts to the ominous Black Lodge, which should not have bothered diehard Twin Peaks fans. Dark it is, but not particularly violent (another common criticism) and certainly not gory.

It is a shame that the network destroyed one of the best TV series ever. They interefered with the plot development by forcing the writers to identify the killer, and thereafter its popularity dropped like a lead balloon.

Nadai

I tried to watch Poltergeist II. *yawn*
My sister and I were just talking about this movie. Her husband has never seen any of them and so, for Halloween, she wanted to watch them. We're both in our twenties and saw these movies over a decade ago and we're both still too terrified of them to watch them. Also still afraid of the movie The Omen and not at all ashamed to admit it:)
On a lighter note, I took my kids to see Reck it Ralph today and loved it. Great movie.

RLynn

Poltergeist - Scary
Poltergeist II - Yawn, couldn't stay awake
The Omen - Scary
The Turn of the Screw (1992) - Subtle, believable
Antichrist - Sick, disturbing, impossible to evaluate
Archetypal early horror flicks: Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula - Awesome