Any other snopes addicts on here?

Zecora

I love Snopes.com, and have to admit I check it every day. (For those who don't know, it's a big urban legend reference site that's updated daily). Anyone else totally addicted to it?

I have been a fan of the site for years. It's a great resource to check up on, but of course it's always good to do your own research as well. It is part of the reason that I am so obsessed with urban legends, especially disturbing ones.

Isabelle

I wouldn't say I am an addict, but I do check it regularly. I think it's a great resource for checking out "fishy" stories, and I have even discovered a couple of fake coupon deals on there as well.

magickz

There are tons of hoaxes out on the net and no matter the subject matter if it has not been duped yet, it soon will be. I am surprised sometimes at the bad things people fall for online, but then again if there is a way to have a good community, an unethical person will always attempt to ruin it.

Snopes is also a good resource if you get one of those emails from a well-meaning family member that really is full of inaccuracies. A lot of those emails end up on Snopes so you can check up on them and send back an email with actual information.

Snopes is a good resource. That being said, you have to understand that it's a husband and wife team who started and still do the most work, on Snopes. Anyone can make a mistake. Don't just take one website's word for anything. Do some research.

Isabelle

Very true Wiseold Owl. You can expect a couple of people to get it right 100% of the time, but it is a neat resource. I always google things that I find questionable as well. There is at least a little truth in every fiction...the trick is figuring out what it is. ;)

Myrddin

Very true Wiseold Owl. You can expect a couple of people to get it right 100% of the time, but it is a neat resource. I always google things that I find questionable as well. There is at least a little truth in every fiction...the trick is figuring out what it is. ;)
That is very true. A story couldn't be a story without an element of truth. Without a seed of truth, there is no point, no motivation, to drive a story forward and it would be lost, going on and on, because there is nothing to conclude. For there to be an ending, there first needs to be a beginning, for without even a single piece of truth there is no start to the story, and the best one could hope for is the neverending middle. Yes, the truth could be anything -- based on an opinion, principle, and/or belief, or sometimes actual scientific fact. (Though often in the case of fiction, it tends to be something more subjective.)