Animals in the urban legends

Frumpy

We all know of the tons of cat myths and legends as well as a lot of birds too. I was wondering what other animals have been used the scare the bejeezus out of people through the ages.

blarneyrubble

I would say anything with scary eyes like Owls or things that 'hiss' like Snakes are guaranteed to frighten anybody whether adult or child. I wouldn't mind betting that insects will get a few replies here too.

Myrddin

Wolves for sure. They have appeared in many stories, mostly fairy tales, but those were told with the idea of scaring caution into others. Little Red Riding Hood is a good example -- dont' just go wandering about in the woods, the wolves might get you. And there is also, of course, the werewolf, as a way of saying "be careful who you talk to" -- which incidently is also a theme in Little Red Riding Hood.

Frumpy

Now that you mentioned snakes, we can't forget the biggest one of all. The one from the garden of Eden. That is quite a tale.

I don't remember any having to do with insects, like blarneyrubble said, insects is sure to have a few. I went looking and the one that called my attention the most was about bees. They used to be called the servants of god, and it was very bad luck to kill them.

Ronnie

Remember the story of the truckers who see the Black Dog? They say if they see the Black Dog, they will soon have a serious accident or get killed. I have also heard a bunch of other dog stories.

Myrddin

Remember the story of the truckers who see the Black Dog? They say if they see the Black Dog, they will soon have a serious accident or get killed. I have also heard a bunch of other dog stories.
Have you heard of the Grim or Church Grim? A large black dog that haunts church yards and said to guard the dead, though it is featured in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban as an omen of certain death, which of course, Harry keeps seeing throughout the year.

Black dogs are everywhere it seems. There is also Barguest, Black Shuck and Gytrash.